Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless LAN Controller software upgrade

denz_cruel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Currentlt we have 2 WLC for AP's (High Availability) and 1 Anchor WLC. The WLC's model is 5508 model and the current Software version is 7.0.116.0. The main object of our Software upgrade is to use new AIR-CAP3702I beecause our current software was lock to AIR-CAP3502I. When I checked the cisco website for software upgrade, it recommend software version 8.0.120.0. It would be great if anyone could help me and answer my questions below.

1. What would be the impact if I upgrade the 2 WLC for AP's to version 8.0.120.0 and let the Anchor WLC be at 7.0.116? Any issue on the anchor WLC? I am planning to upgrade on the 1st weekend end the Ap's WLC then on 2nd weekend the Anchor WLC.

2. How long it would take me to upgrade the WLC? I read some blog and mentioned it took him 5 hours. I need this infomration so I could schedule this properly.

3. Can anyone please provide me a steps or guide for firmware upgrade?

4. I found out that I need to upgrade to 7.0.240.0 1st then upgrade to 8.0.120.0 to avoid losing those VLAN settings in H-REAP AP, What would be my back-up plan in case I have issue on 8.0.120.0? Can I downgrade back to old firmware?

5. Once I finished the upgrade do I need to re-add licenses for the AP count? 

6. I am upgrading from 7.0 to 8.0,are there any configuration changes once I upgraded?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

1. Not all Wireless LAN Controller software versions support this. In such cases the remote and anchor controller should run the same version of WLC software. However, the recent software versions do allow the remote and anchor controllers to have different versions.
So I WILL RECOMMAND to use same version on both WLC.

2. around 30 to 45 minutes (Take a downtime window of max 60 minutes)

3. Here is the procedure:http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/68835-wlc-upgrade.html

4. No, you can directly uprade to 8.0.120.0. Yes you can downgrade the WLC software.
Note If you have VLAN support and VLAN mappings defined on H-REAP access points and are currently using a 7.0.x Cisco WLC software release that is prior to 7.0.240.0, we recommend that you upgrade to the 7.0.240.0 release and then upgrade to 8.0.121.0 to avoid losing those VLAN settings.

5. No,Software upgrade does not impcat AP license.

6. No conifg will not change but after upgrade.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

1. Not all Wireless LAN Controller software versions support this. In such cases the remote and anchor controller should run the same version of WLC software. However, the recent software versions do allow the remote and anchor controllers to have different versions.
So I WILL RECOMMAND to use same version on both WLC.

2. around 30 to 45 minutes (Take a downtime window of max 60 minutes)

3. Here is the procedure:http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/68835-wlc-upgrade.html

4. No, you can directly uprade to 8.0.120.0. Yes you can downgrade the WLC software.
Note If you have VLAN support and VLAN mappings defined on H-REAP access points and are currently using a 7.0.x Cisco WLC software release that is prior to 7.0.240.0, we recommend that you upgrade to the 7.0.240.0 release and then upgrade to 8.0.121.0 to avoid losing those VLAN settings.

5. No,Software upgrade does not impcat AP license.

6. No conifg will not change but after upgrade.

Regards

Hi Sandeep,

Thank you for the information, regarding the your answers I have few that did not fully understand.

4. regarding the Note, so if I directly upgrade to 8.0.120.0, The AP's H-REAP vlan will be lost and I need to manually update each AP's?

6. So after the upgrade i might have some issue because of configuration changes done by the new firmware? Can you share what are the configuration changes?

Also I read cisco website and able to found this. "When you upgrade the WLC with a new image, the WLC automatically copies the new image over the backup image." Do I need to manually remove the backup image or it will automatically replace it? Do the reboot will automatically select the higher firmware version?

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Hi,

4. regarding the Note, so if I directly upgrade to 8.0.120.0, The AP's H-REAP vlan will be lost and I need to manually update each AP's?

Yes, If you have HREAP APs then it will loose the vlan mapping so you need to map vlans again manually.

6. So after the upgrade i might have some issue because of configuration changes done by the new firmware? Can you share what are the configuration changes?

No configuration will not change.

*** WLC keeps the 2 image(primary and backup). So no need to remove backup image.

Go to Command > Config Boot , here under General parameter you will see the active / backup image on wlc. Under Config Boot Image parameter, you can select the image to boot the wlc.

Regards

sydccie
Level 1
Level 1

Very clear answer. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card