ejpark
Level 1
Level 1

Model : C9800

WLAN : WPA2/802.1X

Mode : Local

Software : 17.3.6

Hi,

The WLC session timeout setting is 1800 seconds, and during the client reauthentication phase The message 'CO_CLIENT_DELETE_REASON_KEY_XCHNG_TIMEOUT' is generated. We added the AAA Accounting setting a while ago and this causes an Accounting STOP message to the authentication server, ending the client WLAN connection. I want to know if there is an action plan for the cause. Also, I want to know if there is a problem if I increase the session timeout setting.

Attach the client log file as well.

Thank you.

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the model of the APs?

Hi,

C9120AXI is in use.

There are also some 2702 models, but I did not the connected client check and debug.

What kind of wireless clients are these, are they Intel-based AX2xx or Realtek RTL88xx wireless NIC?

The NIC type cannot be confirmed because it is not currently on the site.
Is there a problem depending on the NIC type?

Thank you.

@ejpark wrote:
Is there a problem depending on the NIC type?

Of course.  

For Realtek RTL88xx, the wireless NIC driver should be, at a minimum, 6001.10.352.0 (and later).  Refer to CSCwf03870. 

For Intel-based AX2xx, the wireless NIC drivers should be 22.200.2.1 (and later) or 22.220.0.0 (and later).  Refer to CSCwe50033. 

I'll check the client driver version when I visit the site.

Thank you.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

And as 17.3 is already End of Vulnerability/Security Support you should be upgrading to 17.9.4 + SMUs + APSPs as per the TAC recommended link below. That also provides a number of other bug fixes.

Why are you using such a short session timeout?

First, I will check whether the 2702 model is used or not.
There is no particular reason to use the session timeout value as the default.
This is because it is not possible to know exactly the impact level when changing the best practice or value.
If I increase the session timeout value, will there be any problems with using it?

Thank you.

Refer to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/guide-c07-743627.html#Clienttimers and while you're about check all the other Best Practice guidelines and check your config with the Config Analyzer (link below)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card