Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Max SSID on WLC and AP

Peter Valdes
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm using a NME-AIR-WLC6-K9, Software Version 7.0.235.3.

I have 6x Access Points AIR-LAP1142N.

The limitation on the WLC is only 16 SSIDs, I'm not sure what the AP is capable of max SSID broadcast. Does any one have this information?

My question, is there a way of expanding the controller to allow for more WLAN? Our floor would like to use another SSID on top of the 16 already configured.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Why the need for more than 16 SSIDs?  Keep in mind 4 points

More SSIDs = equals more management traffic = more airtime consumed = more potential spectrum congestion

only 1 train can use the track at a time

Cisco re-uses the BSSID values on both bands

http://www.my80211.com/home/tag/cisco-bssids

AP/WLAN Groups would be a more efficient means of providing SSIDs per location.

NAC or other client posture control such as Cisco ISE would be a better way to determine who can access what.

Eric

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Why the need for more than 16 SSIDs?  Keep in mind 4 points

More SSIDs = equals more management traffic = more airtime consumed = more potential spectrum congestion

only 1 train can use the track at a time

Cisco re-uses the BSSID values on both bands

http://www.my80211.com/home/tag/cisco-bssids

AP/WLAN Groups would be a more efficient means of providing SSIDs per location.

NAC or other client posture control such as Cisco ISE would be a better way to determine who can access what.

Eric

Thanks ericgarnel,

When you say AP/WLAN Groups would be a more efficient means of providing SSIDs per location, is there a Cisco document explaining this and how it will work.

We provide services to our clients by providing SSID on a floor with roaming service any where within the Wifi coverage. Right now, due to the limitations of 16 SSIDs on a WLCM (SRE-710) we have ran into problems. I notice that other Cisco products such as Virtual Controller (small to mid scale) and Wireless Appliance Servers (mid to large scale) provides 512 WLANs.

harvisin
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I totally agree with Eric as more SSID's will result in traffic congestion which would be a loss, so it is better to use ISE to give the authentication and authorization as per configured policies in it

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The limitation on the WLC is only 16 SSIDs,

Each AP can broadcast a maximum of 16 SSID and nothing more.  You can configure a WLC with more than 16 SSID.

When you say AP/WLAN Groups would be a more efficient means of providing SSIDs per location, is there a Cisco document explaining this and how it will work.

We provide services to our clients by providing SSID on a floor with roaming service any where within the Wifi coverage. Right now, due to the limitations of 16 SSIDs on a WLCM (SRE-710) we have ran into problems. I notice that other Cisco products such as Virtual Controller (small to mid scale) and Wireless Appliance Servers (mid to large scale) provides 512 WLANs.

Wow.  Someone's over-complicated your WLAN network.  That ain't going to be good at all.

How many clients do you provide WLAN service?  Like what Eric said, with AP Groups you can do the following scenario:

Client A and B have three SSIDs each with the 3rd SSID as "Guest".

APs inside client A premises will broadcast SSID A1, A2 and A3.

APs inside cient B premises will broadcast SSID B1, B2 and B3.

In the foyer area, you can have an AP broadcasting only A3 and B3.

Very doable and this is what the main selling point of AP Groups.

With a newer WLC, like the 2504, 5508 and the WiSM-2, you can even specify the data rates for each AP groups.  So you can say that A3 and B3 will only broadcast in 802.11 g.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the info. The setup standard was not thought of very clear and the engineer has now left the company and I have to clean up the mess ....

So using AP Groups and assigning the group to a specific AP would be more of a clean deployment without degrading the WiFi network.

Do you have documents on AP Groups?

Thanks

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a link to a doc describing AP Groups.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott, Ill check it out now and test.

I think that AP Group is very popular in no matter the size of your WLAN.

One thing to consider is this:  The default AP group is made up of SSID number 1 to 16.  For security reason, I would recommend you put your SSID from 17 to 32.  You may want to ask WHY?

A fresh AP, without any configuration, immediately goes into a "default-group" AP group.  This means ANYONE can put an AP to start broadcasting the SSID even if this AP belongs to someone else.

If you create an SSID between SSID number 17 to 32, and create a new AP Group.  If the "default-group" doesn't have any SSID assigned to it, what happens is the AP will not be broadcasting any SSID unless you assign the AP into the correct AP Group.

As Scott pointed it out, the downside is that when you assign the AP (individually or as a group) to the correct AP Group, the AP or APs will reboot.

Just think about it. 

Hi Leo,

When you say place the SSID from 17-32, your refering to the WLANs ID?

On my controller, SRE-710, I can only get 16 max from the drop down menu. See capture.

Thanks

When you say place the SSID from 17-32, your refering to the WLANs ID?

On my controller, SRE-710, I can only get 16 max from the drop down menu. See capture.

Oh dear.  I didn't realize there was a restriction on the WLC.  Sorry.  Please disregard my previous post.

The 1-16 is based on the least significant bit. You may need to do this from the CLI as the 17+ would indicate the next to least significant bit (reading from left to right the last bit is the least significant bit)

Didn't realize you could still do that trick on the latest code
Eric

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: