cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless problem

mparas_04
Level 1
Level 1

We are using wireless on our company. The WLC is Cisco 5508, our Access Points are Cisco 1260 series.

Our probless is, the network connection is too slow,we even added more APs. We just noticed that each PC is transferring from one APs

to another after few mins. There are instances that one AP has more clients associated than the other APs.

Is there a way we can set a client limit each APs?Is it possible for each PC only stays on the APs it is connected?

If we change the channel width from 20MHz to 40, will it help boosting the network connection?

Hope you can help me.

2 Replies 2

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If your clients are using the b/g network (2.4ghz) band forget about 40mhz channels.

If your clients are using the a network (5hgz) then 40mhz will provide you more bandwidth indeed.

The problem is that it' the clients deciding to which AP they associate and sometimes they make strange decisions.

Your reaction of "putting more APs" would indicate that you didn't site survey  the place correctly ? If that's the case then maybe there are too many APs in one location and not enough in some other places.

If you're on the b/g band, anyway you have up to 3 channels max so putting more APs doesn't solve many problems usually.

Are you really using 1,6,11 for the channels or you went for some more funky choice ?

Most of our PCs use n network but still 2.4GHz frequency range. we're on 20MHz channel so we are only getting half of the maximum bandwidth.

CCIE from Korea who designed and configured our network,I'm only managing the network. I checked the channels, they used the 1,6,11 correctly for the b/g and they equally put APs on each area. We only added more APs on the department who experience slowness of network.

There's no problem in accessing the internet, the problem is when they access the local network.

So there is no way we can fix the client to only one AP?Can we limit the PCs associated to each AP?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card