cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless setup guidance

kpaynecisco29
Level 1
Level 1

I need some guidance on setting up a specific aspect of my wireless network.  I have the easy part done with (4) 1130AG LWAPPs connected to a 2106 WLC with SSID and security setup.  This network is functioning great.  My question lays with the two 1242AG Autonomous APs I have been provided with.  With the (2) 1242AGs I need to get the wireless network from the building where it resides to an outdoor area near by.  How do I best configure these 1242AGs to get the wireless signal to the near by area?  Root hub and Non root hub?  Repeater?  Should they remain in Autonomous mode or upgrade them to LWAPP?  Will keeping them in Autonomous mode interfere with them having the same SSID (for continuity)?  Any help would be appreciated!

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have antennas for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios, the best is to convert them to lightweight and have them in Mesh mode. The 1242 are normally done for indoor mesh but it can do the trick for you.

You could have one radio acting as bridge (a root and a non-root) and on the non-root AP, the other radio is used to service clients. This way you keep all your througput.

Repeaters are not so great because they cut the speed in half.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have antennas for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios, the best is to convert them to lightweight and have them in Mesh mode. The 1242 are normally done for indoor mesh but it can do the trick for you.

You could have one radio acting as bridge (a root and a non-root) and on the non-root AP, the other radio is used to service clients. This way you keep all your througput.

Repeaters are not so great because they cut the speed in half.

Nicolas,

I do have the Antenae for both.  The details you listed is exactly the guidance I needed.  I had already converted them to lightweight but then talked myself out of it and converted them back to Auto.  Reading too many conflicting opinions I guess.  I will try out the details you suggested and post back my results.  Thank you for your help!

Nicolas,

I followed the mesh instructions in the Cisco WLC guide and now everything is working great.  Thank you again for steering me in the right direction!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card