cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless user options

dondinger1
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 2504WLC and an AIR-CAP702i-A-K9. These are to be deployed in a living facility to give the residents WiFi access. There is no 'server' to connect these to. There is a Win7 box that will be used. After reading I see the users and passwords are setup beforehand and given access to the AP's. Is this the only way access is granted by creating users/pass first for each resident? or can a passphrase that everyone uses be setup for the SSID?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

PETER MOOREY
Level 1
Level 1

You do not need to use usernames and passwords, although it may be considered more secure.  You can choose to use a preshared key, which is a passphrase that needs to be entered on each wireless client device connecting to the network.  

Below are instructions on setting up a preshared key, you need to configure this in the GUI as follows: WLAN > SSID settings > Security > Layer 2 tab:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-6/configuration-guide/b_cg76/b_cg76_chapter_01001110.html#ID996

Take note on step 7, you would choose PSK (pre-shared key) and enter the passphrase.  I'd recommend using WPA2 and AES for most deployments.

Hope this helps,

Pete.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

PETER MOOREY
Level 1
Level 1

You do not need to use usernames and passwords, although it may be considered more secure.  You can choose to use a preshared key, which is a passphrase that needs to be entered on each wireless client device connecting to the network.  

Below are instructions on setting up a preshared key, you need to configure this in the GUI as follows: WLAN > SSID settings > Security > Layer 2 tab:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-6/configuration-guide/b_cg76/b_cg76_chapter_01001110.html#ID996

Take note on step 7, you would choose PSK (pre-shared key) and enter the passphrase.  I'd recommend using WPA2 and AES for most deployments.

Hope this helps,

Pete.

Peter Moorey - Thanks for the info.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card