Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSMs

agapitca19
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have two WiSMs,one each is installed on 6509-Es acting as distribution switches. These distribution switches will be upgraded and due to switch rack space issue,we're planning to install the WiSMs on a smaller 6504s then trunk them to the new distribution switches.

My question is about the SVI/switch management interface on 6509-Es that is being used by WiSMs service port to communicate with the Sups. Should they stay on the new distribution switches or should it reside in 6504s? It seems to me that I just need to create another SVI in 6504s, assigned ip addresses that belong to the same network as the SVI/switch management interface on 6509-Es, create the appropriate vlans, and allowed those vlans over trunk between 6504s and the new distribution switches. I am not sure if my understanding is correct.

Note: The interface vlan for the vlan defined in wism service-wlan X needs to be on the same chassis as the controller <<< Based on the link       below. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/catalyst-6500-series-7600-series-wireless-services-module-wism/91473-wism-initial-setup.html

Same question as above about the SVIs on the 6509s for the WLAN profiles set on the WiSMs,should they still reside on the new distribution switches or move them to the 6504s?  

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Hi

One of my questions is, the config of the SVIs on the 6509s for the WLAN profiles set on the WiSMs,should they still reside on the new distribution switches or move them to the 6504s then allow the vlans associated on those SVIs over the trunk between the new distribution switches and 6504s?

I would move them to 6504s, in that way you can treat your 6504s as wireless distribution without relying on 6509s

Also note that WiSM-2 product already EoL/EoS announced.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/wireless-services-module-2-wism2/eos-eol-notice-c51-738008.html

If you are buying 6504 to purpose WiSM, I would suggest to think about it and plan to go for 5520/8540 products.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Rasika,

Will it still work if I don't move the SVIs related to the WLAN profiles to the 6504s? Instead, I will create another SVIs on 6504s with IPs belong to the same network as SVI/management interface and allow the appropriate vlans over the trunks?

What about the SVI/management interface currently on the 6509s that WiSM service ports use to communicate with the supervisors, will it also work if I would do the same thing like what I am thinking for the SVIs related to the WLAN profiles?

Note: The interface vlan for the vlan defined in wism service-wlan X needs to be on the same chassis as the controller <<< Based on the link below. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/catalyst-6500-series-7600-series-wireless-services-module-wism/91473-wism-initial-setup.html

This is only temporary as we have plans to upgrade our WLCs.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: