Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN clients

lillanita
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are using a aironet 1200 AP and Dell laptops for clients. The clients are authenticated through RADIUS (Microsoft IAS server) and AD. The problem is that we can not use the wireless client from XP to connect to the WLAN. When we use the Dell wireless WLAN card utility the connection is good. What is the reason for this? And is there anything we can do? Using the Dell client is no problem. But we find this a bit odd.

-Lill

7 Replies 7

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

You cannot use the window XP wireless utility to set-up LEAP authentication.

You can try to install the Cisco Aironet Utility that can support LEAP, EAP-Fast and work with some non-Cisco wireless adapter.

Hope this helps.

jverkerke
Level 1
Level 1

Try to use certificate based authentication like EAP-TLS. It works fine with my setup with EAP-TLS on native windows XP.

I encounter this problem before. I am using EAP-MSChapV2. I swapped out the AP, then it works, I am not sure it has anything to do with signal strength.

However, I have another type of Dell notebooks that cannot detect the AP at all, when the Dell engineer swapped out the wireless card(intel pro), then it works. has it got to do with frequency?

Please try to check will your dell notebook (wireless NIC) work w/ Cisco Aionet as below :

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr46/pr147/partners_pgm_partners_0900aecd800a7907.html

PEAP-MSCHAPV2 require CCX 4. And some old H/W also support older ver. of CCX.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for that, it is helpful when we buy dell hardware.

Thanks,

paul

Hi Paul,

You're welcome. Although there is a list of supported list, and it is better to double confirm the model w/ notebook vendor if it does not shown in the list.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card