Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 - Browse network by host

New to WLC install. The WLAN is up and working but I can only communicate by ip address from and to the devices connected through WLAN. I'm unable to communicate by host name.

Thank you

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should be able to as lon as you created a dns record to map the hostname to the ip.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

Thanks for the reply. Lost me here. Any chance you can provide reference or link to get me on right track. I don't think I have internal DNS configured.

Your wireless clients - are they being assigned a correct/reachable DNS server? 

How do they get leases?

They are getting the same ip configuration as the wired clients from the router. The current DNS server is the router. This is a new WiFi. The previous Wifi (WAP561) WDS the clients obtained ip's from the router and I could browse the network by device hostname. The devices are getting the DNS from the DHCP from the router and obtains the same DNS as the wired client.

You can't use hostname a if you don't have a dns server.  Basically if DNS is working, you can issue an nslookup <WLC hostname> on a command prompt.  Also if the ipconfig /all has DNS servers with an internal IP address, most likely you have a dns server in your environment.  However if your using a public dns server, then you will not be able to use the co triller hostname to access the controller.

Here is a link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727018.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

-Scott

Well I can now ping host name. It turned out to be a setting in the WLC. I needed to enable "Broadcast Forwarding". Now applications on wireless clients can connect other devices by host name. I am still unable to browse the network through file explorer unless I enter path manually.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card