Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 can't change WAP name or switch off CDP via WLC gui

Andy_Edward_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Please can you assist? I have 1 x Cisco WLC 2504 & 2 x Cisco WAP AIR-CAP1602I-E-K9 running 7.4.100.60.

All three devices are installed and working correcty within a corporate environment. However, there are a few tweaks that I would like to do, to tidy up the configuration and switch certain elements on or off. For example, my core networking hardware is Huawei and I would like to switch off 'CDP' on the WAP's as the associated error messages are filling up my logging buffer on my switch. So, I https to my WLC, locate the WAP in question, goto 'interfaces' and untick the box for 'CDP state' hit apply, then I get the following error message "controller name is mandatory when controller ip address is configured" and then the tick reappears!

At present I have two WAP's. Both have static IP addresses and both are reachable on the network. The one WAP did allow me to change the name to something meaningful, but the other WAP would not let me and still has the default MAC address as its name. I have the same issue, when I try to change the name on the WAP it says "controller name is mandatory when controller ip address is configured"

I have also tried to CLI directly in to the WAP to make these alterations, but as soon as i launch 'putty' it quits out. I guess this is locked down once the WAP's associate with the WLC.

And around I go.... Someone must have been in this situation, what am i missing? Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Andy,

Do not worry, you should be able to do anything via WLC CLI.

If you want to enable telent/SSH to a particular AP use the following command

(WLC) >config ap ssh enable

(WLC) >config ap telnet enable

In your case you do not want to telnet/ssh AP itself to change the AP name  or disable CDP status of AP interface. Here are the WLC CLI commands you want.First SSH into WLC & then do the below configs

(WLC) >config ap name

(WLC) >config ap cdp interface ethernet 0 disable

make sure you save the config using "save config" at the end.

Let us know how it goes

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Andy_Edward_2
Level 1
Level 1

Should I upgrade my WLC to version AIR-CT2500-K9-7-4-110-0.aes OR AIR-CT2500-K9-7-5-102-0.aes.

Any recommendations? Many Thanks...

7.4.110.0 (MR1) is the most stable version in 7.4 software train. So it is the recommended version if you want to stick to a stable code.

7.5.102.0 released less than 3 months & always comes with risk of unknown bugs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn75.html

Also 7.6.x will release soon to support 3700 (new 802.11ac AP) model

HTH

Rasika

You can try change the name via WLC CLI (not AP CLI itesef). Here is the command sysntax to do this

(WLC) >config ap name

(WLC) >save config       

Are you sure you want to save? (y/n) y

Configuration Saved

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika.

I upgraded my WLC to AIR-CT2500-K9-1-8-0-0-FUS and AIR-CT2500-K9-7-5-102-0. But still the WLC won't let me change WAP names or switch CDP off via the WLC GUI. I tick the box to switch off CDP, hit apply, go back in and refresh and the box is reticked with an error message saying "Controller name is mandatory if the controller IP address is configured".... (My WLC has a name and a IP address)

I can't even telnet or SSH into the WAP's as it just quits out, this is the same for a WAP associated with the WLC and with a WAP not associated with the WLC. I'm working on this remotely so i'm going to ask my colleague if he can console in to alter these parameters on my behalf.

Why Cisco give these parameters on the WLC when you can't even change them is beyond me....

Hi Andy,

By default SSH & Telnet is disabled for WLC controlled APs. So you have to enable it first via WLC GUI in order to access the AP via telnet or SSH.

Wireless -> Select your AP -> Advanced -> Tick Telnet/SSH boxes.

If you could not change AP name via WLC GUI (it may be a bug), but as I said earlier try to change it via WLC CLI (not AP CLI itself). SSH  to your WLC & then try the following.Old AP name is the one with its mac address.

(WLC) >config ap name

(WLC) >save config      

Are you sure you want to save? (y/n) y

Configuration Saved

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika,

I really appreciate your help.

I tried enabling telnet and SSH via the WLC GUI and it gives the same error message "Controller name is mandatory if the controller IP address is configured" and unticks the box.

I think my only option is to get my colleague to console in and try and change these parameters via CLI. Cisco don't make this easy do they?

Do you have the command to switch CDP off on the LAN interface? and also enabling SSH/Telnet the WAP? Many Thanks...

Hi Andy,

Do not worry, you should be able to do anything via WLC CLI.

If you want to enable telent/SSH to a particular AP use the following command

(WLC) >config ap ssh enable

(WLC) >config ap telnet enable

In your case you do not want to telnet/ssh AP itself to change the AP name  or disable CDP status of AP interface. Here are the WLC CLI commands you want.First SSH into WLC & then do the below configs

(WLC) >config ap name

(WLC) >config ap cdp interface ethernet 0 disable

make sure you save the config using "save config" at the end.

Let us know how it goes

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

We are definitely getting there.... SSH and telnet are  working on the WAP's now and I've successfully managed to change the  WAP name to something meaningful.

I tried your CDP  configuration and confirmed that it had taken the configuration via the  WLC GUI, but I am still getting messages on my Huawei core switch about  CDP and noticed that there is another CDP tick box on the WLC GUI for  CDP. > WIRELESS > CHOOSE AP > ADVANCED. Should I be disabling  that CDP tick box as well? Do you know how to do it via the WLC CLI?

And while I am here, do you know how to change the  username and password on the WAP's via the CLI on the WLC? Need to  change it from Cisco/Cisco to something more secure. Many Thanks for your help!!!!

Hi Rasika,

I've cracked it!!!! Thankyou very much for assistance. All parameters have been changed and the WAP is now fully operational. Many Thanks...

I am still get CDP/LLDP error messages back to my Huawei core switch from the Cisco WAP's. I managed to turn off CDP globally on the WLC for the WAP's, but the errors keep on being generated. If i turn off CDP on the radios will that cause any operational problems? Many Thanks...

Hi Andy,

Good to see you managed to get this done.

How does this output looks like for the AP you concern ? Does it say ehternet/radio0/radio1 CDP status is disabled ?

(WLC) >show ap cdp ap-name

Regarding Radio interface CDP state, No there are no operational impact disabling CDP on radio interfaces. This (CDP Disabled) is actually by default status unless you enable it on your radios.

By the way thanks for rating responses.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card