Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 only a and g 54Mb/s mode when using 802.1X authentication

hello,

i have 2504 WLC with software version 8.0.115.0 with 25 AIR-CAP1702I-E-K9 installed and running. i configured 3 WLAN, one open with no authentication,one with [WPA2] [Auth(PSK)] setted and one with 802.1X authentication using NPS on windows server 2008 R2 with radius protocol.

authentications with radius using 802.1X performed well but the users are only associated on a or g mode 54Mb/s. the users associated to others WLAN (open and WPA2) can operate 802.11 ac or an or bn as well.

so it seems than enabling 802.1X authentification limits actually to 802.11a or 802.11g mode.

is there someone to confirm any limitation ?

best regards

Alain

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

i'm  just now trying with security Policies [WPA-WPA2][Auth(802.1X)] instead of 802.1X

Yes, pls do that. Your layer 2 security settings should be like this.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Great question. 802.1X allows for higher rates 802.11n and ac. Make sure your 802.1X WLAN doesn't allow tkip and wmm is allowed. The n and ac rates are not supported on tkip and non wmm networks. Let us know what you find.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

hi George,

on that WLAN I have :

Security / Layer 2

layer 2 Security : 802.1X  for this choice it is precised than :

6 WMM and open or AES security should be enabled to support higher 11n rates

Under 802.1X Parameters i have 802.11 Data Encryption (Type WEP - Key Size 104 bits)

QoS / WMM Policy Allowed

I can select AES at security layer 2 only with security / Layer 2 setted at WPA + WPA 2 instead of 802.1X

i'm  just now trying with security Policies [WPA-WPA2][Auth(802.1X)] instead of 802.1X

i will update asap

Best regards

Alain

Yes, pls do that. Your layer 2 security settings should be like this.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Yea you can use WEP and get the higher rates .

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi Every one,

i configured following Rasika recommendations and clients now associate in AC or N mode with speed about 173.3 Mb/s as i was before ceiling in a or b/g mode at 54 Mb/s.

all is working fine

Thanks for all

Best regards

Alain

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card