Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 Update from 8.2.166.0 to 8.3.140.0

Hello,

today I tried to update our 2504 WLC from 8.2.166.0 to 8.3.140.0 without success.

Looks like the WLC can't read the config and ends up in a default config.

I also tried to download the old config to the WLC and boot again > same issue.

Everyone else tried this update path?

I see some errors during the boot (full console output attached):

00000003 value for node ptr_apfCfgData.apfVAPIDData.apfVapId is either default or not part of database
Validation for node ptr_apfSiteCfgData.site.wlan.ifName failed, indices for node are 0 0

Thanks,

Bernhard

9 Replies 9

Hi @bernhard.friedheim

Software upgrade shouldn't´t play any role on the configuration file. It is expected that after an upgrade, the configuration remains as is, unless you have a hardware problem or a bug.

As per the log you show, looks like the WLC came to an end after software intallation right, although we can see a lot of weird logs. The upgrade software path is pretty straithforward as you are change from 8.2 to 8.3, no big deal here. 

Did you manage to access the web interface after upgrade try to reload config file and got an error ? Did you get any error while transferring file or did you get successful message? 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hi,

no, the webinterface wasn't reachable, since the WLC lost the IP configuration.

I'm getting no error, if I try to upload the last config. Everything looks ok well and the WLC writes a successfull message,  but after a reboot the same happens and the WLC is offline.

br, Bernhard

Dont follow you...who are you trying to send the config to the WLC if it does not have an IP address?

I suppose you should run the wizard setup providing and ip address , mask and  gateway and then try to open via webinterface or cli and resent the config file.

No, I don't send a config to a WLC which have no IP...

I run the config wizard and then tried to download the original config to the WLC. Then a reboot is required, after the reboot, the WLC looses some of the config. No Webinterface, no ping possible, ...

I'd run the whole wizard, put the WLC on its foot and after that try to push the old config.

How's that sound?

I already tried this.

Go threw the wizard, pusch the old config to the WLC, and reboot the WLC > WLC looses some parts of the config.

Have you updated the FUS to 1.0.20 before attempting to install 8.3.x?

This is required for current 8.3 releases, see here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus-rn-20.html

yes, FUS Image is the correct one:

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.20

Ok, then it's weird. Maybe the flash is corrupted or you're hitting some other rare bug. I suggest you open a TAC for this.
You might want to try 8.3.133.0 for testing, as 8.3.140.0 is still very new. Maybe they added some bug into that version.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card