Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 Windows DHCP for internal SSID and WLC DHCP for Guest SSID

keith.liew
Level 1
Level 1

I need to configure below:-

1) RADIUS authentication - which was successfully with 2008 R2

2) External DHCP - Microsoft DHCP for internal staff and Internal DHCP for guest - which was not successful

3) Captive portal

As this is the test environment, I attached the switches configuration and diagram together.

Can anyone help me on this ?

4 Replies 4

Hi Keith,

AP should be connected to access ports. So following configuration has to change (ie "sw mo tr" to replace with "sw mo ac" and "sw ac vl x")

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/19
 description ForAccessPoint
 switchport mode trunk
 spanning-tree portfast
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/20
 switchport mode trunk
 spanning-tree portfast
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/21
 switchport mode trunk
 spanning-tree portfast

Regarding DHCP, did you configure your DHCP server address under the dynamic interface map to SSID ?

Always use external DHCP rather giving DHCP by WLC. If WLC is the DHCP then WLC management interface IP to be configured as DHCP server under dynamic interface DHCP configuration.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika

Thanks for replying my question.

FYI, we only have 1 unit of Aironet 2700 series AP and we would like to configure multiple SSID (for internal staff, for guest and etc).

By changing the port to "sw mo ac", will the client able to get IP from external DHCP server (in this case, Windows DHCP). As I found from internet, there is something call Option 43 that need to configure at Windows DHCP side. Any idea about this ?

I am actually new to WLC. May I know if there is a guide on how to configure DHCP map to SSID under dynamic interface ?

Thanks

As I found from internet, there is something call Option 43 that need to configure at Windows DHCP side. Any idea about this ?

This is nothing to do with wireless clients getting DHCP IP addressing. It is to do with advertising WLC information to APs in order to fresh APs to find a WLC to register.

Read below doc for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/97066-dhcp-option-43-00.html

I am actually new to WLC. May I know if there is a guide on how to configure DHCP map to SSID under dynamic interface ?

Here are some useful reference on dynamic interfaces & DHCP configs on WLC

https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/configure-dynamic-interface-on-wlc/

https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/dhcp-with-the-wlc/

By changing the port to "sw mo ac", will the client able to get IP from external DHCP server (in this case, Windows DHCP).

This is how you normally connect APs onto a switch. Only in FlexConnect mode AP you connect to a switchport configured as Trunk Port. All other APs to connect to switch port configured as Access Ports.

"switchport mode access" and "switchport access vlan X" will do that for you.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi,

By changing the port to "sw mo ac", will the client able to get IP from external DHCP server (in this case, Windows DHCP)

And moreover as your AP is controlled by WLC so the all the tagging and untagging things will be done in between WLC and switch interfaces so, that will always be in trunk mode.
And port between the AP and switch would always in access mode.

IF your AP is autonomous and your are going to configure multiple SSID then your connected switch port would be in trunk port OR in flexconnet case.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card