cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5500 View clients on band

Brewder
Level 1
Level 1

First I'll say I'm not a Cisco engineer, but I do know wifi and controller software from other vendors.

We recently activated 5Ghz (2.4Ghz was already enabled) for a SSID in one of our locations.  This location has >160 AP's and roughly 1,300 client devices....  Using the WLC, how can I easily view the clients connected on each band?  I'm simply looking for rough idea of "which clients are using 5Ghz and which are still using 2.4".. I know that changes constantly, so I'm just curious for the point in time I log into the WLC.

//Brew

5 Replies 5

Hi

Using the GUI you can go to the Monitor tab, Clients and use the filter.

Brewder
Level 1
Level 1

We dang, that's pretty simple as I assumed it would be.  I used to have read-only access to our WLC's here at work... but that access was removed and now I have to rely on someone else to do these things.... 

Brewder
Level 1
Level 1

Turns out that wasn't very helpful... in the 5500 WLC, we can select protocols like 802.11a, b, g, n, etc, etc... but some of those overlap with 2.4Ghz (like 802.11n) so it generated mix results...  Perhaps newer controllers have better firmware for reporting..

Others WLC will have the same solution. If you need to know exactly if they are in 5ghz or 2.4ghz you can use  CLI. 

show client summary will tell the frequency

Associated xx Yes 802.11ac(5 GHz) 8 No No Local
Associated xx Yes 802.11n(2.4 GHz) 8 No No Local

You can transfer to a spredsheet and filter.  Now, if you have Cisco Prime then you can get it in a spreadsheet report. 

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Maybe that's not the best way to guess if all clients do support 5GHz band, as it's up to the client adapter and driver to select which band to connect to, even if using band string is enabled (and in some scenarios not recommended).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card