Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 high availability

Hello,

Today I have two WLC 5508 (with license for 100 AP each of them), on a single site.

The WLC are operating in high availability (active-standby).

However we have a new scenario, with 02 sites: A and B (attachment).

I would like to know if it is possible to work as follows:

The WLC-A as the main controller of site A. WLC-B as a backup (secondary controller) of WLC-A.

The WLC-B as the main controller of site B. WLC-A as a backup (secondary controller) of WLC-B.

For example:

If WLC-A falls, Site-A Access Points are managed by site B's WLC-B, and vice-versa.

Is that possible?

How can I configure the new scenario? Remember, there will be a site-to-site between Site A and Site B.

Another point:

If I add more 50 APs on Site A. How does the license issue work?

Will I need to buy license for both WLC?

Tks,

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>....

>...is that possible ?

No , high availability in controller-terms is meant to be what is says, the backup controller can only be in 'full'-stby and can not play any other roles.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Ok M.

I understood. So I have two options:

first: I buy more two WLC and I built a distinct WLAN for Site B.

Second: I centralize the WLC cluster and I working with FlexConnect

Is my reasoning  correct?

I would go with option 1) , I have not used FlexConnect myself but here are things to consider

- In FlexConnect mode the user-data goes directly on to the network from the AP, this means easier access to the network from wireless devices (for instance). Wireless is by definition a far more easy path to the network, then a network socket at your desk. Flexconnect may make it more difficult to isolate and identify 'bad sources' on the (wirless) and to the-end on the global network. So for IntrAnets with a high security requirements there is a possible security penalty. If you use the setup to bind 2 sites together; then the security penalty may be doubled....

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

antmatrix
Level 1
Level 1

You will have to break the HA and use controllers as N +1  and have one site point to controller A as primary and controller B as secondary and the opposite for site 2. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card