cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 MESH AP Policies

Bradley Fox
Level 1
Level 1

I recently purchased some 1532 outdoor APs and could not for the life of me figure out how to get them registered with the WLC until I read a post that said I needed to add the AP's MAC address under Security, AAA, AP Policies.  Sure enough, this resolved my problem, but I'm now left wondering why I needed to add these APs and not any of the other hundreds of 2702 APs in my environment.

I suppose it's inconsequential, but I'd really like to know why this is required on the 1532 and not the 2702.  I understand it has something to do with the AP having a MESH image and being in bridge mode but do not understand this additional requirement.  Explanations would be greatly appreciated!  

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Convert them to local and or capwap-mode first :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/converting-mesh-ap-to-local-mode-and-vice-versa-using-ap-cli/ta-p/3155865

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you for this, however, I'm not looking for a solution on how to get them to join the WLC.  They are already all set and converted back to local mode.  I'm trying to understand the purpose behind adding their MAC to AP Policies when they are in bridge mode.

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/config-guide/b_cg85/ap_connectivity_to_cisco_wlc.html#ID1181

>...

A bridge mode (mesh) AP, must be authorized against AAA, in addition to its MIC or LSC authentication. For more information, see AAA Administration.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

This still doesn't explain WHY they need additional authentication...

- I presume this is a security-must and or necessity  , for bridging ap's and or to prevent roque-bridging

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card