cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 Support IPSec to Radius Server? Windows NPS

Eric Daoust
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to follow the Fips guide for the WLC5508 and it wants to encrypt the connection to the Radius, either with PSK key wrap or IPsec. I have the options for Ipsec only as the Windoes NPS does not support Key wrap from what a previous user confirmed for me here on the board.. But then found another post that states that the 5508 does not support IPsec?

Can anyone confirm this?

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe Steve R commented on a post a while back that IPsec is no longer supported on the newer model WLC. It was an option on the 4400's.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So the option is in the GUI but not "Actually" available?

So other than key wrap there is no other way to secure the communications between the WLC and my radius?

Not really..... I havent had any cleints want to do this even with ACS having the feature.  I guess you could keep the WLC and the radius in the same subnet so those two can only communicate with each other.  Your NPS will just ahve to communicate with AD.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thanks Scott, yeah seems a little paranoid but was curious as to meet the FIPS standard it has to be activated

I have never had to do that for FIPS though.  Since ACS is really the only radius server to do that, I would not assume that that would be a requirement.  If you do keep the WLC and the radius (NPS) in the same subnet with no other devices, I would think that would meet the requirement of securing the radius traffic.  But then again, are you using radius for other things?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card