Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 Upgrade

Hi Dears,

I have WLC 5508 with software version 8.0.121.0, I'm going to upgrade to 8.5.135.0, when I applied the necessary commands I'm getting this message  % Error: Code file transfer failed - Couldn't connect to the server, although the WLC is reaching the tftp server.

in addition when I'm trying through gui, I'm getting below message 

% Error: Code file transfer failed - Error from server: File not found

Please your kind advice on how to write the file path correctly  in gui or cli (image file located in folder in desktop).

quick support is highly appreciated.

Osama

8 Replies 8

ammahend
VIP
VIP
Make sure your file directory of TFTP is pointed to where you have saved the upgrade file. Make sure the file name is correct with .aes extension.
Follow this guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/68835-wlc-upgrade.html
-hope this helps-

Hi Ammahend,

thanks for your quick advice, all mentioned points used correctly, can you advice how to write the file path if I'm using GUI, the image file located in this location C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Copy of WLC

follow the upgrade path Leo recommended.

point your TFTP directory to your upgrade file location "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Copy of WLC"

use / for path when upgrading.

-hope this helps-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Did anyone bothered or took the time to read the Release Notes? 

Pay close attention to the Software Release Types and Recommendations section because it is not possible to upgrade from 8.0.X.X to 8.5.X.X without going through 8.2.16X.0.

If you are using Release 8.2.15X.0 or earlier, we recommend that you upgrade to Release 8.2.16X.0 or 8.3.x and then upgrade to Release 8.5.164.0.

Thanks Leo, I misread it, thought it didn’t apply for 5508 or WISM2.

-hope this helps-

Hi Leo,

for WLC 5508 is possible to upgrade.

Two things here... like Leo mentioned, you need to perform a two step upgrade, you can’t go to 8.5 direct.
Second, you need to read the instructions for the tftp server you are using. The manual will tell you how to change the path to where the file is located.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

In the TFTP Server application you tell it where the "root" directory is. If you put the file into that directory, optionally open the operating system firewall for TFTP (udp/69), then you can tell the WLC that the file is in the / directory. So just a forward slash, nothing more.
You might need to append the filename behind the slash.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card