cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5520 - Console Port not working after physical migration

mbrandon32
Level 1
Level 1

We recently moved a pair of WLC 5520's into a new cage. Once powered up, the console port does not seem to be responding. The console was responding and accessible prior to the power down and move. Has anybody run into this before? What was done to fix? All console switch settings for the new environment have been mirrored from the old.

I've checked and SoL is disabled.

(Cisco Controller) >show imm chassis sol-info
Set in progress : set-complete
Enabled : false
Force Encryption : false
Force Authentication : false
Privilege Level : USER
Character Accumulate Level (ms) : 50
Character Send Threshold : 201
Retry Count : 7
Retry Interval (ms) : 500
Volatile Bit Rate (kbps) : 115.2
Non-Volatile Bit Rate (kbps) : 115.2
Payload Channel : 14 (0x0e)
Payload Port : 623

13 Replies 13

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...Once powered up, the console port does not seem to be responding.

Does the console work upon a cold boot and or is the startup sequence shown on the console when the device is booting ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

No - the console doesn't respond or show the startup sequence on a cold boot either.

is this HA and you are using primary for console ?

-hope this helps-

Yes - HA deployment and console is connected to both primary and standby. Both ports were accessible prior to the power down and relocation.

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/troubleshooting/trb-guide-wlc-5520-8540.html#pgfId-1314171

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you for this. I found it earlier and worked through all steps to no avail. I ended up configuring the CIMC - which nobody had configured previously - and was able to console into the primary controller that way. The only issue with that workaround is that console into the secondary isn't available until it becomes primary - and the imm settings are replicated to it. So we have to toggle switchports in order to access. TAC mentioned that we can configure separate imm settings but would need to break HA first... Related bug for imm config sync >> https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvf57867 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yes always configure CIMC before joining the WLCs - I got TAC to open that bug.  That is supposed to be fixed in latest code - what version are you using?
Have you tested a known working console cable directly connected to the console with a PC (no patching or terminal server)?

Currently running 8.5 but upgrading to 8.10 this weekend. We've been held back because we have some older APs, which we are moving off of these controllers. 

We tried swapping cables between the controller and console server; we tried moving a cable from a working port on the console server; we tried a connection directly from a laptop - each scenario produced no output via console.

'Last gasp' ... = Use Cisco console cable.

M.

We used the usb>rj45 Cisco console cable when testing laptop to controller directly. Still nothing.

- You may try a reset to factory defaults as a last resort (save the configuration first) : https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-knowledge-base/how-to-reset-a-wireless-lan-controller-wlc-to-factory-defaults/ta-p/3122866

M.

When you say a Cisco console cable - you mean one actually sold by Cisco? Or one that you think works with Cisco devices?
As I've described on these forums before not all those cables work with Cisco APs, even if they work with routers and switches.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have the same problem with UCS (which is what the 5520 and 8540 are built on).  So unless you've actually had that cable working with a 5520 before don't assume it will work.
I use this one for APs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MYQPYKR/
Generally cables which use a genuine FTDI chipset will work well, others are hit and miss and the same applies to a number of them which use fake FTDI chips (some get disabled by the FTDI drivers).

Rich R
VIP
VIP
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: