Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5520 upgrade and 2602 3602, 3702 and 3802 APs

Clem58
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

We are planning to upgrade our 2x Central WLCs HA SSO from 8.2.130 to 8.2.170 as a 1st step and in a second step from 8.2.170 to 8.5.171.

We have:

3x AIR-CAP2602E-E-K9
21x AIR-CAP3602I/E-E-K9
140x AIR-CAP3702I/E-E-K9
148x AIR-AP3802I/E-E-K9

I'm planning to predownload the firmware to the APs, but I've read few articles saying the 3702 model could have to download twice the image.

We have a critical site 24/7 that have 33x3702 APs and only 10Mbps WAN access (to the remote WLCs), do you think it's more reasonnable to wait their WAN bandwidth upgrade to 100Mbps, because if the 33 APs have to download the image (~260mo), at the same time it could take very long time !

How about 2602, 3602 and 3802 models ?

20 Replies 20

@Clem58 wrote:

with your solution I will have to manually enter commands on each AP and have to find separate firmware image for this model

Nope.  That is definitely NOT my solution.

My solution is to instruct the WLC to instruct the AP to download the firmware from a TFTP server.  My solution means I enter the command on the WLC only.  Nowhere is my solution "enter commands on each AP".  

Yes sorry, instruct commands on APs via WLC

The issue with the double downloads is with the 3702's.  This is why you have to plan accordingly in case ap's fail or have an issue joining the controller.  I always test to see how long it takes and also what issues I have or might run into.  In a lab environment, you can always convert back and re-test.  This is how you should develop your test plan and your upgrade plan.  I know you have remote sites, but the ability to test in your own environment is key.  We can always say one thing, but it might be different when you actually try it.  Test if you can and take you downtime even if its 24x7.  There are a lot of places like hospitals that have to find a good time to make changes.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Leo,

I've tried your solution on a test 3702 AP, and the firmware your instructed to download, it seems it's not the right one.

Looking at the AP after it downloaded the 8.5.171.0 one from WLC I can see this one in IOS version: 15.3.3-JF14

If I go on Cisco download page I can see these firmwares proposed :

Capture.JPG

So a recovery and a c3700 one, I'm a bit lost, which do I need to "pre-download" to the AP ?

Thanks by advance.

@Clem58 wrote:

I've tried your solution on a test 3702 AP, and the firmware your instructed to download, it seems it's not the right one.

I need more info to this:   What happened, what went wrong, what error message. 

Hi Leo,

Sorry I did not see you responded, I was not able to find a proper firmware separately beginnning with ap3g2.

Anyway it's not required anymore now, I have been able to do the final upgrade on our WLC5520 to 8.5.171.0 successfully with the twice downloads.

Thanks for your help Leo and Scott !

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card