Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5800 Bugs and solutions?

tanner.zaitt
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, we found bug in our WLC 5508.
8 hours I tried to find what happening ...

The situation is that, sometimes WLC succesfully start to  boot menu, and there  are primary and backup image options, format flash and manual install image options.
But the WLC can't boot any images in the flash memmory, and in the output in cli....  the output is error free not talking for what happening, no errors, just boot loop, the WLC try to run primary and backup again and again.
Or second scenario on cli nothing happening.

Here is the surprise for me, the flash memmory is integrated inside in motherboard of WLC.
The usb ports are there but they are not usable.
I can't to find how can I upload image to wlc in this state..
I can't read and write memmry, because it is integrated.
I can't use tftp in network or hyper terminal with console cable to upload new  IOS image.

I can't find information how we can save our licanses and startup config in this WLC.

I can't find information how we can format flash and manually install new IOS without booting IOS in WLC.

Only I found information about bug.
The bug is 

CSCtg66192

The support of WLC devices I think is to hard and impossible without cisco TAC.

We try this schema, we pay to Cisco partner waranty for WLC months ago before our wlc is come to bug state, just good luck and now we create case about our wlc and TAC will give us new WLC and will take back the wlc with bug.

This is the happy end.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Raise a TAC Case and get the unit RMA-ed.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Thanks for sharing details.

were you running 6.0.x code on those controllers ? as per the bug detail that is then only version listed.

HTH

Rasika

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@tanner.zaitt wrote:

But the WLC can't boot any images in the flash memmory, and in the output in cli....  the output is error free 

We want to see what the controller is actually doing.  Plugging a console cable and recording the logs while the controller boots would be very helpful.  There are things that we may see that others won't know where (or what) to look out for.

In bug state you are without cli output.
Only black screen you see.

Wihtout bug state.

The output is relatet with try to boot two images in the flash memmory, primary and backup image.
First you see boot menu with 4 options, after that you see how wlc is try to boot two images.
For example is started process to load primary image, load to 40% and stop there and start to boot menu wth 4 options and repeat this process again and again, sometimes load process of image is come to 100% and again start from boot menu 4 options and so and so.

Sys and ALM indicator blinks orange.
Yes the version is 6.0.x.

;)

Raise a TAC Case and get the unit RMA-ed.

Yes they did help us.
Now we are with version 7 with another WLC 5508.

But who can explain me, why I should to config in first boot AutoInstall?

To now I only touch switches and routers, but there I can config all later not in the first boot like in WLC.

Here with WLC I can't continue before I set up AutoInstall.

Do you have someone here experience with moving licenses from old wlc to new, just general information without details?
I think TAC should send us email with instructions, because they know our licenses in their database systems.

But the startup configuration of our broken wlc I think that is impossible to recover it.

And we have to build the configuration from beggining.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card