cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wlc 9800 flexconnect AP image upgrade by primary AP

vishwash
Level 1
Level 1

anyone who can provide step by step for wlc 9800 flexconnect AP image upgrade by primary AP ..

actually i recently configured wlc 9800 now doing migration of  flex connect AP site wise  from 5508 to wlc 9800..

any one know the process for AP image upgrade by primary ap selection without impecting wlc 9800 ??

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>....any one know the process for AP image upgrade by primary ap selection without implementing wlc 9800 
  - That's not possible in this case because the process is always steered by the 9800 and or needs to start with 9800 based images on the APs , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello MArce

i think you misunderstand my word (without impecting wlc 9800 ..here my mean was looking for workaround without reboot wlc ) ..i have already setup wlc 9800 ...so do you know any way to save time while migrating from flexconnect ap from 5508 to 9800 ?

i found below method ,(Efficient Image Upgrade (cisco.com) , but confused on how to achieved this task for new AP who is going to move from 5508 to 9800 ..as by default they will assign to default profile  ??

- My opinion is that the documented mentioned  can only be used for AP upgrades within native  C9800 deployments and not for     APs coming from a foreign controller ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

then in that case  , i believe better to be increase capwap size in default ap profile to save time while upgrade flexconnect APs ?

- Not exactly sure what you mean by capwap size ?

M.

I think @vishwash means CAPWAP Window Size @marce1000 
Yes - you can increase window size - TAC previously recommended we do that even though the docs say only to use it for OfficeExtend APs.

Regarding your original request - @Leo Laohoo has already documented the process for downloading images to APs in advance of migration from a TFTP server using debug ap commands on the WLC.  Search through Leo's past posts for the details.  You'll need to get the correct CAPWAP image version for your 9800 code version.  You can find the correct AP version from the compatibility matrix (link below).  For example if your WLC is 17.12.3 then the AP version is 15.3(3)JPQ2.  Refer to TAC recommended code link below for current TAC recommended version.

here my mean was looking for workaround without reboot wlc 
You should never have to reboot the WLC when migrating APs!  Only the APs need to reboot onto the new code version.

@Rich R can you please share process to upgrade AP via TFTP and as well console upgrade step for APs ?

capwap size limit is around 20 if i am not wrong how would you recommended for best practices ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card