cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC and APs on different vLANs

MattD2010
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem with lap's getting updated firmware from the WLC.

I currently have the WLC on say management vlan 99 and the APs are on a separate vlan (we will call this vlan 100). The switch port for the AP is configured as an access port for vlan 100 and the port going to the WLC is a trunk port allowing all vlans. When I connect a new AP to the access port vlan100 the WLC is unable to locate the AP, however when I connect it to an access port on vlan 99 it runs fine.

Now the weird part; This is only happening when the firmware needs to be updated on the APs. When the firmware matches the WLC is able to communicate with that access port (vlan 100) configuration fine.

The only way to get the firmware on that AP right now is to change the access port vlan to 99 instead of 100. I'm concerned that when I do an update on the WLC the APs won't be able to get the new firmware without changing all 125 switch ports.

Is there something that I am missing?

Thank you

1 Reply 1

Are you configuring the APs for 1st time ? If so use Option 43 to discovery the WLC. 

Regards,
Sathiyanarayanan Ravindran

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card