Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC and WCCP

Hi there

we would like to redirect some WLANs on a WLC to a proxy server, but for this we would need WCCP. Because we have a Nexus 7000 in the core layer and I am not sure if Nexus supports WCCP in VRF, I wanted to ask if there is an easy way to redirect the traffic directly on the WLC (maybe with WCCP or something else)?

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards

Dominic

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The reality of the interfaces, is that they are not L3 interfaces.  They are still a L2 interface.  Dynamic interfaces require an IP address, so that the WLC knows when you do a L3 roam.

For example, Building A has Data on vlan 15 10.15.1.x, Building B Data is vlan 15 10.115.1.x.  If you roam between the buildings, we need to know that you need to be L3 and anchor the traffic back to Building A's WLC, and not locally switch the traffic out of Building B's WLC.  If we dont' know this, you would have issues, until the device tried to re-IP itself for the new subnet.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the quesiton as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The WLC doesn't have the ability to direct the traffic to a proxy.  The only thing it does is put the traffic into the appropriate VLAN.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Stephen

thanks for your answer, what I expected. But I thought because of the Layer 3 (dynamic) interfaces, maybe it would be possible.

Regards

Dominic

The reality of the interfaces, is that they are not L3 interfaces.  They are still a L2 interface.  Dynamic interfaces require an IP address, so that the WLC knows when you do a L3 roam.

For example, Building A has Data on vlan 15 10.15.1.x, Building B Data is vlan 15 10.115.1.x.  If you roam between the buildings, we need to know that you need to be L3 and anchor the traffic back to Building A's WLC, and not locally switch the traffic out of Building B's WLC.  If we dont' know this, you would have issues, until the device tried to re-IP itself for the new subnet.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the quesiton as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

Hi Stephen

great answer, thanks.

Best regards

Dominic

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card