Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC AP Failover

ak7246
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends,

We recently installed 2 4402 WLCs. I configured Mobility group and split the APs between 2 WLCs by configuring Primary Controller on each AP. No secondary or tertiary Controller was configured.

Now when WLC1 goes down, the APs on WLC1 register with the WLC2. However, when WLC1 comesback up the APs don't fall back to WLC1. They stay associated with WLC2 until they are rebooted.

is this normal or am i missing anything?

thanks

Anand

16 Replies 16

I see your point. All of our facilities use the wireless for three main functions. Medcarts, point-of-care kiosks and resident wireless access.

The app for Medcarts is hosted at an off-site vendor.

The app for Kiosks is hosted on-site locally at either facility.

Wireless access for residents is not a high priority. We provide it free of charge.

I was preparing more for a hardware failure of the WLC, not so much for an Internet failure. Is this a good way of thinking?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How can I safely test this during normal hours?

Reboot your WLC while associated. If H-REAP is working during the reboot stage, you should not loose your association and/or authentication.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card