cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC AP SSO with different FUS Versions

Rene S.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we had to replace our secondary WLC (HA SKU) and got one with FUS 1.9., the primary WLC is running FUS 1.7. Should I upgrade the primary to 1.9 before I take the new secondary online?

Thanks very much!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rene,

Its always good to have same version on both WLC (If you are running HA).

I would recommend to upgrade Primary WLC with FUS 1.9 and then do it for secondary.

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes you should make sure the FUS is upgraded and identical prior to enabling AP SSO.

The upgrade of the FUS image behaves the same way as a normal controller code upgrade.

There is no different procedure than upgrading the controller but as it is FUS image which is independent on each controller you will have to break SSO and install the image on each controller and then bundle the controllers again after the upgrade.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus_rn_OL-31390-01.html

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rene,

Its always good to have same version on both WLC (If you are running HA).

I would recommend to upgrade Primary WLC with FUS 1.9 and then do it for secondary.

Regards

Hi, the secondary is already on 1.9, so I wouln't need to upgrade it. I was told that I have to disable AP SSO on the Primary WLC in order to perform the FUS upgrade since backup wlc will be offline at the time of FUS upgrade.. Would you also suggest disabling AP SSO?

So the steps would be:

1. On Primary WLC: disable AP SSO

2. On Primary WLC: perform FUS Upgrade

3. On Primary WLC: Enable AP SSO

4. turn on the Standby WLC...

----

on the standby wlc the Initial config and AP SSO is already enabled, so this should work-at least I was told it would work

Yes it's always good to disable AP SSO.

and you put the correct procedure to do it.

Regards

Dont forget to helpful posts

Ok thanks, I will do it this week and will post how it went..

I disabled, sso, did the fus upgrade, enabled sso, attached the second wlc and it all worked fine.
Thanks sandeep and mohanak for your help!

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes you should make sure the FUS is upgraded and identical prior to enabling AP SSO.

The upgrade of the FUS image behaves the same way as a normal controller code upgrade.

There is no different procedure than upgrading the controller but as it is FUS image which is independent on each controller you will have to break SSO and install the image on each controller and then bundle the controllers again after the upgrade.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus_rn_OL-31390-01.html

Hi, one question: breaking SSO just means on the WLC UI under Controller/Redundancy/Global Configuration -> set SSO to disabled, right?
Will do it tomorrow..

Yes, its correct or via CLI using this command on HA Pair"Config redundancy mode disable"

Regards

Ok thanks, I'll do it via UI.. I hope disabling SSO is possible even if the Standby node is down

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card