Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC DHCP DNS

john smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends,

In my wireless network senario i have configured my wlc and LAPs in the same vlan for managment for example

1: i have vlan 10 configured in core switch for WLC & LAP managment

2: Core switch also configured as DHCP server and have vlan 10's DHCP pool configured also i excluded the range that i use for managment      

ip addresses of WLC& LAPs

3: i have configured one vlan 11 for wlan

my 1st question is that should i need to configure DHCP option 43 and DNS server for LWAPP discovery while the WLC & LAP are in the same subnet?

my 2nd question is that what will be ( Management Interface DHCP Server IP Address: XX.XX.XX.XX )

will this be the core switch's Mgmt ip address Or the gateway ip of vlan 10's IP ?because core switch is configured as DHCP server for all vlans?

and there is not any external MS-DHCP server for this.

Many Thanks in advance

God Bless You

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry,

First the management interface. You only have the WLC and APs on this vlan and nothing else right ? If so, there is no need for DHCP on this vlan because nothing else will connect to it. It would be better not even to have a dhcp scope for the management vlan. BUT the WLC will require you to put something in there. You could use your core switch or some random ip address.

If indeed you are using the managment vlan for other devices and you do need DHCP. In the DHCP field just put the core switch ip address OR the vlan gateway address.

Same holds true for the dynamic interface ..

BTW -- The WLC proxys the DHCP request from the intreface the request comes in on from the WLC side of things. So if your dynamic intreface is say 10.10.10.10 ... Your WLC will unicast from 10.10.10.10 to the DHCP server.

Make sense?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

my 1st question is that should i need to configure DHCP option 43 and DNS server for LWAPP discovery while the WLC & LAP are in the same subnet?

Correct, if the APs live in the same subnet as the WLC managment address there is no need for DNS or option 43. The reason, becuase the AP will broadcast and the WLC will respond.

my 2nd question is that what will be ( Management Interface DHCP Server IP Address: XX.XX.XX.XX )

will this be the core switch's Mgmt ip address Or the gateway ip of vlan 10's IP ?because core switch is configured as DHCP server for all vlans?

and there is not any external MS-DHCP server for this

Most folks use static addresses on the managment interface. So you could put in a bogus number there. Remember this is for interfaces that will require DHCP addresses. Like the client WLAN, you need to point this to the core switch, (interface vlan) ..

Make sense?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks George for your reply

first answer i got it

but the 2nd one i am confused that what you mean

could you plz tell me in clear words that

for intial configuration what will be

( Management Interface DHCP Server IP Address: XX.XX.XX.XX

and for dynamic interface that i will configure in wlc what will be the DHCP address?

is that core sw mangment ip or the vlan ip address that i have configures in core switch for that dynamic interface which is i am going to configure in wlc?

many thanks

Sorry,

First the management interface. You only have the WLC and APs on this vlan and nothing else right ? If so, there is no need for DHCP on this vlan because nothing else will connect to it. It would be better not even to have a dhcp scope for the management vlan. BUT the WLC will require you to put something in there. You could use your core switch or some random ip address.

If indeed you are using the managment vlan for other devices and you do need DHCP. In the DHCP field just put the core switch ip address OR the vlan gateway address.

Same holds true for the dynamic interface ..

BTW -- The WLC proxys the DHCP request from the intreface the request comes in on from the WLC side of things. So if your dynamic intreface is say 10.10.10.10 ... Your WLC will unicast from 10.10.10.10 to the DHCP server.

Make sense?

thank you sooo much George

its working

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card