Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC EoIP tunnel QoS

pradeepser
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have WLC anchor at main site DMZ zone having an EoIP tunnel with remote site WLC over the WAN network. DHCP server is in the main site which is used by all the remote site WiFi Clients via EoIP tunnel over the WAN.

Would the DHCP packets from Anchor WLC to remote site WLC will traverse over EoIP tunnel control traffic or data traffic? Meanwhile to prioritize EoIP tunnel control traffic on the WAN network we applied QoS for UDP 16666 on the WAN edge routers.

10 permit udp any eq 16666 any

20 permit udp any any eq 16666

But there are no matches for these traffic. Am I missing something? Any other best way to prioritize the WLC EoIP tunnel control traffic over the WAN?

Regards,

Kumar

6 Replies 6

Arthur Burger
Level 1
Level 1

Ethernet over IP is ip protocol 97. 16666 is used for non-encrypted Mobility messages between controllers. If you are going to match a type of traffic for QoS you need to match IP protocol 97 and not udp/16666 or udp/16667

the DHCP request and response should flow over the EOIP tunnel. 

Alex

Thanks for your response. I would like to QoS only the tunnel control traffic not the data traffic.

ā€¢ UDP 16666 for tunnel control traffic

ā€¢ IP protocol 97 for user data traffic

My question on DHCP traffic, EoIP control or Data traffic?

Im confused by your last statement  where you state "DHCP traffic, EoIP control or Data traffic"

16666 is mobility control traffic

16667 is encrypted mobility control traffic

IP protocol 97 is EoIP

there is no EoIP control vs data.

DHCP traffic will flow over the EoIP tunnel to the anchor controller and back to the client. If you are wanting to QoS control traffic you should match based on udp/16666 and udp/16667

Alex

As per the below Cisco link which talks about control & data traffic raised the question on the DHCP traffic flow on the control & data traffic?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_010010100.html

My requirement is to QoS DHCP related traffic which is being sent over EoIP tunnel & I tried to QoS control traffic UDP 16666 but didn't see any matches. I can't try Qos IP protocol 97 because it's data traffic (guest Internet traffic) and has the potential to lead other production traffic to starve bandwidth.

Is there a way to QoS DHCP related traffic being sent on EoIP tunnel?

ah I see what you are saying. DHCP would only flow across the EoIP tunnel itself. I am not sure that there is a way to apply QoS to the DHCP traffic in the EoIP tunnel due to it being encapsulated and thus only looking like an EoIP packet to your intermediate devices. You can however apply DSCP markings to your Mobility Groups, which should allow the controller to mark the control traffic at whatever DSCP marking you would like under Controller > Mobility Management > Mobility Anchor Config. So unless someone else has something different to say, I do not believe there is a way to mark DHCP by itself in the desired path. 

Alex

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

I don't think there in control/data for EoIP but yes for mobility control traffic its 16666 .

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card