Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC failover solution

Shahab Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My client is having two Cisco WLC 5508. One is at location A & another at location B They want to configure failover between these two WLC’s i.e. in case of location A WLC failure, the AP’s should get register to location B WLC which is currently happening but the clients will get the IP Address from location DHCP pool. Their requirement is that if in the event of failover, then clients should get the IP Address from the local DHCP server pool & not from the location B DHCP pool & visa-versa.

As far as design prospective, in location A they are having 5 WLAN’s; one for each floor. We have configured 5 AP groups for the same. Where as in location B they are having single WLAN serving all the clients.

My query is -  if we configure Flexconnect for all the AP’s in location A as well as for location B even when they are connected to local WLC, is that a recommended design suggestion from Cisco?

Secondly, if in case of configuring Flexconnect, do I need to create the 5 WLAN’s & 5 AP groups for Bangalore AP’s in location B controller?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I use Flexconnect, and for that to work you'll have to have the same AP Groups and WLANS configured on both controllers so when the AP fails over the correct WLANS show up.  Otherwise i believe the AP will get the default AP Group.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

I use Flexconnect, and for that to work you'll have to have the same AP Groups and WLANS configured on both controllers so when the AP fails over the correct WLANS show up.  Otherwise i believe the AP will get the default AP Group.

Im in almost the same situation. What about the WLC Interfaces, we use different IP addressing schemes on the different locations.

For exemple SSID Sales is mapped to Interface with IP Address 192.168.5.1 in VLAN 5. We dont have these networks in location B.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: