cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC HA AP SSO and number of interfaces

Jan Junker
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer who is going to deploy a WLC HA AP SSO setup. I have recommended them to have 4 Gigabit SFP modules in each WLC5508.

The customer now asks if it is possible to only have one or two SFP modules in the standby unit ?  As he says it is properly not going to go in service one time within the next five years if he is unlucky. And yes we are going to use LAG

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

That will work.  So long as they are both configured for lag, the actual number of ports is irrelevant.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

I understand your question and what I said it doesn't matter how many you use and I have clients that have one in one and two in another. What I was referencing to is that you need to monitor the links.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have clients that only use one or two gigabit ports with 300+ APs. So as long as you monitor the switch interfaces and you don't see it being utilized, you should be fine.

-Scott

My question might not be 100% clear. This is going to be a WLC5508 installation with the new HA AP SSO setup (New feature in version 7.3 software). With a WLC5508 standby unit.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml

Here is the configuration going to be synchronized between the primary and the failover unit. And is each SFP unit included in the configuration and in the "status" of the unit.

That will work.  So long as they are both configured for lag, the actual number of ports is irrelevant.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Thank you so much for the answer.

I understand your question and what I said it doesn't matter how many you use and I have clients that have one in one and two in another. What I was referencing to is that you need to monitor the links.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card