Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC License issue After Upgrade

jkemper01
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

After upgrading my WLC 2504 to 8.4.100 i no longer had the 25 licenses that the device shipped with from the factory..

Any idea what happened or what i can do to get them back.  Been running on the temp licenses for a few months until i had time to get to this..

Let me know... Thanks...

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Usually the controller keeps the licenses unless you delete them. You should of purchased an adder license and it shouldn’t of been base license. You can call TAC and speak with the license team if you have valid info.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

This came from the factory with 25 lic.. i never installed any..

AIR-CT2504-25-k9

I didn't delete the licenses... i just ran the upgrade and when it finished all i had available to use was the Eval licenses... been running on them for a while but i know im gonna have to get this resolved sooner than later.

don't have smartnet on the controller... but don't feel like i should have to buy it... the licenses should've been available after the upgrade..

Is it possible they are still there somewhere and are possibly just not available through the web gui..

From the console or cli, issue a show license all
Look to see if it’s there. I never ran into an upgrade that removed the license.
-Scott

Thanks for your fast response scott.

I ran the command from HyperTerminal..

The response...

Cisco Controller)
User: CiscoAdmin
Password:**********
(Cisco Controller) >show license all

License Store: Evaluation License Storage
StoreIndex:  1 Feature: base-ap-count                     Version: 1.0
        License Type: Evaluation
        License State: Active, In Use
            Evaluation total period: 12 weeks 6 days
            Evaluation period left: 7092 weeks 6 days
        License Count: 75 / 75 (Active/In-use)
        License Priority: High

(Cisco Controller) >

I got a case open with TAC.. .Bizzare...

I'll let you know how it goes..

I figured you would be able to. Never hurts to try.
-Scott

Richard Imus
Level 1
Level 1

Did you manage to solve this issue? We have the same problem and it is impacting us........in a good way(I think).

If you ever have issues with your licensing, simply email Cisco a request to licensing@cisco.com

State your situation and provide the model and the serial number of the WLC. Also, ensure your Cisco CCO account name is in the email as per below.

Cisco ID: (your_account_name)

<<< Please help the community by marking useful posts helpful, or accept as a solution if it resolved your issue >>>

Nope…

TAC logged in and “fixed” the license issue.  They told me that it would be correct after the next reboot of the controller.  I didn’t want to reboot it with TAC on the phone because it was production but when I did reboot it a week or so later nothing had changed…  I am still running off of the qty 75 eval license that, according to my show lic, has about 7050 weeks remaining before it expires..  I figure it’s Cisco’s problem for the next 135 years or so… then I’ll revisit the issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card