cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Multi-Interface WLAN with static IP or DHCP reservations

Wes Schochet
Level 3
Level 3

We are in a hospital environment are are constantly running up against size limits on SSIDs.  The new Interface group feature seems like the perfect solution for our problem.  I do however have some devices on these SSIDs that have either a static IP address or a reserved IP based on their MAC address that gets assigned from DHCP.  

I remember reading somewhere about the vlan / subnet allocation scheme, but I can't find it. I am concerned about the interaction here.  Is it possible that all devices are assigned to the first vlan / interface and only look for a second one if DHCP is full?  that seems too good to be true.   

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The devices are assigned a MAC hash that's get stored on the WLC.  Addresses are issued in a round-robin approach from all the interfaces in the group.

• If a client has a static IP configured in, for example, subnet A, and they are allotted subnet B, they will get moved to subnet A (override), before moving to the RUN state, if these conditions are met:

• DHCP Required is disabled on the WLAN.

• Subnet A is included in the VLAN or the AP group is configured on the WLAN.

• The client sends some packet sourced with a static IP in subnet A within the DHCP_REQD interval (~ 2 min default value).

• The DHCP_required interval is configurable and can have a maximum value of 120 seconds. Go to Controller > Advanced > DHCP Parameters > DHCP timeout (5-120 seconds).

• If the static IP client has an IP address from a subnet that is part  of the interface group which is mapped to the WLAN, then the static IP  client that joins over that WLAN will move to a RUN state and can pass  traffic. Otherwise, the static IP client cannot pass traffic.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bb4900.shtml

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks so much - this is exactly what I was looking for!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: