Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Radius Server Load Balance

Hi,

Can someone provide me detailed description on how WLC Radius Server Load balance works.

Becuase, I encounted a problem of User Authenticated with the 1st Radius Server, but Accounting Records are actually on 2nd Server .

Any response will be very appreciated

-Angela

1 Reply 1

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Angela,

I pasted below the part of config guide explaining the different modes. In summary :

-Fallback off means : when 1st radius server shows dead , WLC moves to the second. And will only change again when the 2nd is dead too.

-Passive means : whent 1st radius is dead, WLC moves to the second. If there is a new authentication coming in, it will try the 1st radius server again

-Active means : WLC constantly sends radius probes to detect when primary is back up.

config radius fallback-test mode {off | passive | active}

where

off disables RADIUS server fallback.

passive causes the controller to revert to a server with a lower priority from the available backup servers without using extraneous probe messages. The controller simply ignores all inactive servers for a time period and retries later when a RADIUS message needs to be sent.

active causes the controller to revert to a server with a lower priority from the available backup servers by using RADIUS probe messages to proactively determine whether a server that has been marked inactive is back online. The controller simply ignores all inactive servers for all active RADIUS requests. Once the primary server receives a response from the recovered ACS server, the active fallback RADIUS server no longer sends probe messages to the server requesting the active probe authentication.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card