cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Redundancy - Disaster Recovery

Dan Man
Level 1
Level 1

My questions is in relation to disaster recovery, for wireless.  We have our main data center, in the US, with two 5508 controllers.  We have a DR location, in Europe, with two 5508 controller.  We're upgrading our 5508's to the 7.4 code, so that we can take advantage of the RP port for our controllers.  With that said, is there a way to make the US and Europe controllers redundant?  If there's a disaster, in the US, would the AP licensing, and AP's attach to the European controllers?  Our AP's are set up with HA.  I'm more concerned about the licensing flipping over to the DR controllers.  I've tried researching this topic, and can't really find anything on it.  Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Currently you have to have L2 conenctivity for the RP port to work.

So failing it over across the WAN will not work

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve,

Thanks for the response back.  Not taking the RP port into account, is there any other way to fail the licensing over to the DR WLC's?  I mean, I guess the one way would be to have the necessary licensing on all of the AP's to allow HA to actively join the APs to their HA controllers.  Wasn't sure if there was a way where you could utilize the existing licensing, on the controllers, to push over to the DR WLC's when there's a disaster. 

Thanks!

If you can't use the RP port and configure SSO, then yes you need to have adequate licensing to support all the AP.

But if the AP fall from one DC to another, are the clients going to get the same IP?  Failing across DC is most effective when you use FlexConnect, IMHO.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Yahya Jaber
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Dan,

i think you should ask your question here https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2204256

this thread is for the HA feature.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card