cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC redundency

bouchal-38
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I have 2 WLC: a 2504 and a 5508, can one be the backup of the other?

How do i configure such settings?

I want a automatic backup when 1 is down (the primary would be  the 5508) it will switch automaticly to the2504?

Thanx for your advice.

B

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well it's doable but usually you want to have the same model controller. So anyways, make sure you have the same license count and the WLCs are in the same mibility group. AP Fallback needs to be enabled and you have to assign the primary and secondary WLC on each AP. that should do it.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

The management is what the AP's use to communicate to the WLC not any o the other interfaces unless you change the dynamic ap manager which I wouldn't do. Shut down the management interface and test. That should give you the results you are expecting.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well it's doable but usually you want to have the same model controller. So anyways, make sure you have the same license count and the WLCs are in the same mibility group. AP Fallback needs to be enabled and you have to assign the primary and secondary WLC on each AP. that should do it.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

I did exactly what you mentione, i could move the AP from 1 to another WLC.

But i am testing the high availability: i am disabling the port on the switch  where is connected my trunked VLAN (not my management) and the APS is still on the 'damage' WLC , is it normal?

Should i disablme the port where the management is connected?

did i miss something on the configuration?

Tx a lot for your response.

Alexis

The management is what the AP's use to communicate to the WLC not any o the other interfaces unless you change the dynamic ap manager which I wouldn't do. Shut down the management interface and test. That should give you the results you are expecting.

-Scott

thanx a lot.

Yes, if i disable the management interface, everything is working as i was expected!

Thanx a lot for your help.

This is very nice to have a quick answer.

Alex

No problem, glad to help!

-Scott

Can you please mark the question answered so others can find it useful.

Thanks

-Scott

Just another questions not very important but still:

Is it possible to change all APs in 1 shot? instead of 1 by 1?

in the version 7.0.x i have a HA settings in  Wireless,Access Points, Radio, Global Configuration.

Can someone explain me what it is for, there is the following field:

AP Heartbeat Timeout(1-30)
Local Mode AP Fast Heartbeat Timer  State
H-REAP Mode AP Fast Heartbeat Timer  State
AP Primary Discovery Timeout(30 to  3600)
Back-up Primary Controller IP  Address
Back-up Primary Controller  name
Back-up Secondary Controller IP  Address
Back-up Secondary Controller  name

Tx a lot for the answer.

This is a global setting and unless you only have one WLC, I would leave this alone.  I prefer to use the primary, secondary and tertiary setting on each access point and not specify it globally here.  The timers I have never had to change, so again, leave this alone and only set the primary, secondary and tertiary on each AP.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

adding to Scott's post.

Those are technically the 4th and 5th WLC that will be looked to for failover. Pri/Sec/Ter take precedence

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

hello All, this WE, some of my APs moved to the backup one, but the strange thing is that i did not fill up the primary and secondary controler in the High Availability of those APs..(it was blank)!!!

So what is explaining this move from the main ctrl to the other one?

The 2 controler are still in the same mobility group...

Tx for any (good) answer

B

You have to manually fill those out... the WLC doesn't fill that out for you.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

i know, the problem is that it moves! i did not want it to move, i wanted the APs to stay on the main one, and do not move.

That is what i do not understand, as those field was blancked... why thos APs moved from a WLC to the other?

The AP will move to another WLC that is part of the same mobility group.  The AP will move if it looses connectivity to the promary WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card