Views
Helpful
Replies

[wlc] secondary wlc in a 1:1 redundancy, Ip dhcp pool

c.darbellay
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am setting up a 1:1 High Availability with 2 wlc 2504.

I need to input primary and backup controller ip address and name at each AP.
Unfortunately we have a lot of AP and more AP will come soon; doing this manually will take some times.

I wonder if there is a way to give the secondary ip adresse to the ip dhcp pool? or any other autonomous solution.

Thanks a lot

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For additional reference 
LINK: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/66301

To quote one of the replies:
The global primary and secondary come into play if there is no primary or secondary configured specifically in the ap. Personally I have never used this however if you only had two controllers this would be ideal. I just see specifying at the ap level more granular. Personally I always use the HA tab for the ap as you never know how the deployment will evolve. You may have to fail aps from a single controller to several controllers. You may have to prioritise ap failover. It is always valuable to understand what will happen when your controllers fail and can get interesting if you have multiple controllers with multiple AP Groups and RF profiles as you really need to start controlling which ap goes where.

As you can see, most Admins do not configure the Global setting.

You just have to be patient in configuring them per AP XD

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

ivan.martin
Level 1
Level 1

Hola c.darbellay,

Los wlc 2504 solo permiten redundancia para los AP's, esto es N+1. Ahora si lo que necesitas es facilitar la configuracion para todos los AP's que tienes, la unica forma de hacerlo es por el cli y elaborar una plantilla de configuracion por cada AP, tanto en el AP  es decir uno por uno, como en el WLC.Por ejemplo:

En el WLC

config network ap-priority

config ap priority

En el AP

capwap ap primary-base WLC-Name (IP Address)

Para el caso de la IP, puedes asignar un dhcp pool local el cual entregue una ip al AP, para que entregue IP al AP.

Saludos.

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

There's a global setting for that:
Go to: Wireless->Access Point->Global Configuration

This should help you as well: CLICK ME

I found the global configuration and have already put the ip/name of the secondary wlc.

But I am not sure if it's enough because in this tutorial (Step 2/3) he configured the global configuration and the High Availability tab on each AP.

https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/n1-high-availability-configuration-on-cisco-2504wlc/

Thanks for help

If your reluctant then just configure the AP HA Tab :P

PS: In our deployment, 100+ APs in our clients, we always configure the HA Tab on each AP since it is recommended :D
No need to configure the global setting 

If i were you you'd configure what's the recommended configuration e.g., do per AP configuration to avoid any dilemmas in the future 

"AP-specific settings of the HA takes presedence over the globally-specific HA settings"

I tried to only configure the global setting then I ran:

show capwap client ha 

And my primaryBackupWlcName/Ip are here so I guess I don't need to configure each HA tab?

I would better only configure one time the global setting rather than configure each HA tab.
But I can't see if it's less safe or not

Anyway, to comfort yourself haha

Try this:
1. Get a sample of let's say 2 APs, go to their HA tabs and remove their HA setting
2. Now configure the Global setting on the WLC

3. Go to your AP's console and execute: #show capwap client ha

Still, if you are super reluctant then just be patient in configuring the per AP HA Tab :P

I tried this and it's working fine.
I guss I'll stay with only the global configuration since it's working.

Thanks for help :)

Sure NP :D

For additional reference 
LINK: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/66301

To quote one of the replies:
The global primary and secondary come into play if there is no primary or secondary configured specifically in the ap. Personally I have never used this however if you only had two controllers this would be ideal. I just see specifying at the ap level more granular. Personally I always use the HA tab for the ap as you never know how the deployment will evolve. You may have to fail aps from a single controller to several controllers. You may have to prioritise ap failover. It is always valuable to understand what will happen when your controllers fail and can get interesting if you have multiple controllers with multiple AP Groups and RF profiles as you really need to start controlling which ap goes where.

As you can see, most Admins do not configure the Global setting.

You just have to be patient in configuring them per AP XD

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card