Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Upgradation

waqas sardar
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team,

We are planning to upgrade from WLC Software Version : 7.3.112.0 to AIR-CT5500-K9-7-4-121-0 on Model : 5508.Please advise me that its correct path?

Please share the upgrade path materix.

Regards

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. 

And make sure you upgrade the FUS too!

I am new in wireless, can you please explain what is FUS?

can you please explain what is FUS?

I can do better than that.  Go here:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus_rn_OL-31390-01.html

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@sandeepchoudhary  FUS need to add before the software upgradation?

Its not mention in the upgradation process.

FUS need to add before the software upgradation?

It doesn't matter.  You upgrade the firmware and then the FUS or the other way around.  The main concern is the FUS gets upgraded.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Waqas,

Just to add... If you have multiple WLC's it's best to move your AP's to one WLC and upgrade the other. This way you can avoid downtime since your WLC code upgrade takes a few minutes, but the FUS will take 35-45 minutes before your WLC becomes functional again.

If you do only have a single WLC or don't have enough livens to move the AP's to one WLC, depending on your access point model, you can use the pre image download to push the image to the access point to allow the AP's to come online faster than the AP's having to join the WLC with the new code and have to download the image and reboot. Older non 802.11n access point don't have enough memory to pre download the image.

It's best to be on the WLC when you have uploaded the FUS and reboot the WLC. Even though the FUS upgrade is automatic, if you manually enter "y" to upgrade the various parts, the upgrade will take less time.

Also note that you shouldn't uploaded the FUS 1.9.0.0 if you already have it installed, meaning if you have already upgraded the FUS to 1.9.0.0, don't upload it again. You will brick your WLC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.3/configuration/guide/b_wlc-cg_chapter_01010.html#ID1225

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Regarding the licences,do we have to add licenses before or after the upgradation?

It doesn't matter when you do the license, but i would upload the license after uploading the code, so that one reboot takes care of both.  SInce the licnese and code requires a reboot, its best to do them together. 

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card