cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLCCA - Diagnosing RF issues

Jacob Snyder
Level 5
Level 5

I know that the WLCCA tool isn't officially supported, but I for one would love to see a webinar where we are walked through some of the tricks and tips to diagnosing RF issues with this tool.  I know there are some WLCCA gurus out there, and would love to improve how I use this tool to help do some remote RF troubleshooting.

7 Replies 7

vinunes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I agree.  We ran one way back when the tool first came out in 2008 or 2009, but the tool's evolved tremendously since.  I'll see what I can do...

Jacob Snyder
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks Vic!  Appreciate all you do for the community.

Jacob, you might have already had a chance to view this but to Vic's point the recording of Javier's preso for WLCCA still exists in the Cisco Support Community WLC Config Analyzer - Cisco Support Community

Check Training (VOD Recording)

Jake,

Good news in case you missed it.  The Tech Talk Series: Mobility on March 25th is all about the WLC Config Analyzer.  Got Javier Contreras to present.  Should be great.

Vic

slilley
Level 5
Level 5

I've got a question about one of the data points pulled and reported by the WLCCA tool.  If this isn't the best place to ask, just point me in the right direction. 

My question is about the Channel Utilization number reported by the APs in the "show run-config" command (and shown in the WLCCA tool under the RF Summary tab).  The numbers reported by the APs are routinely higher than the utilization percentages I see when walking the same area using Cisco Spectrum Expert/Cognio.  I'd guess they are easily 20% higher than my "eyeball estimate" from CSE, but I've honestly never done a side-by-side comparison.

How is the reported Channel Utilization number derived on the APs?  Is it a timed average (such as a 5-second or a 60-second average), or is it a high-level watermark over the last N seconds?

I'm working with a customer where we are relying on these numbers (collected from the WLCCA tool) to determine which changes are having a positive impact -- and by how much.  More than 45% of their APs are reporting channel utilization over 50%, and at least 15% of the APs are reporting channel utilization higher than 70%.  Compared to other customers I've worked with, those numbers are pretty bad (although they are a distant second to my worst customer, but they are a developer of consumer-based wireless products so that wasn't too much of a surprise with thousands of "rogue APs" being present).

Thanks in advance, as always!

Regards,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I suggest you add move this to the WLCCA tool support page at https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/7711/wlc-config-analyzer

Thanks Vic, will do!

Regards,
Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card