Views
Helpful
Replies

Wrong antenna layout Cisco C9115AXE-E

AHEdu
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning,

We have 51 APs model C9115AXE-E and the physical antenna layout doesn't match the layout present in the software for 5Ghz band. The 2.4Ghz layout is good and have no problems, it's just the 5GHz.

For example if you only activate the antenna A in the WLC (C9800-L-F-K9), the antenna that will get activate is the antenna D. This is how the layout looks:
Physical - Software
          A - D
          B - C
          C - B
          D - A

We tested this firmware and the same behavier happens in all:

Do you have any knowledge about this issue?

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Reboot one of the involved access points ; then just after boot connect to it and issue the command show logging , look for messages related to the antenna assignments, you may get insights, also look for error messages , if any , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

There's nothing relevant in the logs. All the APs are working fine, it's just that the layout of the antennas is not properly set on the firmware.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

That's the kind of thing you need to open a TAC case for. 
TAC reproduce the issue and open a bug for it - that goes to dev team and a few months/years later (if it gets prioritised) you get a fix in the software.

We have no maintenance on these APs as we have half of them for spare. The only thing we can do is doing an RMA of all the units for being "defective", wich will not fix the problem as this seems to be a software related issue.

The only way you'll get a software issue fixed is by opening a TAC case and getting TAC to open a bug for it.

Open the RMA, you might get what you need. Worked for me with bad firmware on some switch power supplies causing them to be falsely marked as bad if they were in standby mode. TAC would not open a case because I didn’t have SmartNet, so I opened an RMA. Lo and behold, a case was opened, a bug was created, and the issue was resolved.

AHEdu
Level 1
Level 1

Finally we were able to open a TAC case. I don't know, the impresion they bring me is that they don't want to work on this and they don't care about it.

After a lot of discussion and throubles trying to explain the problem while they were giving to us intructions on how to install and setup an access point, the final state of this problem is that this is a feature of the new AP series. The solution that they bring us is to open a "documentation bug" to add the information to the 9000 series.
Basically, they say that:
-If you use a setup 2x2 then antennas D and C will be used for 5Ghz, and antennas A and B will be used 2.4Ghz. So no dualband is enabled.
-If you use 4x4 then all four antennas will be dualband.
-The AP is not misbehaving, it’s how it’s designed. So having one antenna and serving both bands is not possible.

This makes wonder the following:
-If I disable 2.4Ghz band, why is not the antenna A enabled for a 1x1 setup in 5Ghz intead the antenna D?
-If I have 2.4Ghz setup as 4x4, why if I enable antenna A in a setup of 1x1 for 5Ghz the one that is activated is the antenna D? Does it matter if the dual band antenna is the A or D?
-If this is the expected behaviour, why don't you fix the controllers settings to not allow us to enable only antenna A? Just force us to pick the antenna D if we want to only activate one.
-Why don't let us select the antenna to activate? If the hardware supports having the four antennas as dualband why don't you wring us the decision of activate what we want.

I don't know, we are so disappointed with Cisco...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card