Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 9001-S

Salja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to buy new ASR 9001-S with A9K-MPA-20xGE card. 

Any help regarding following questions are very appreciated:

- Does IOS XR operating system some by default with the router or I have to order that separately?

- According to the documentation, the RSP processor inside ASR 9001-S should include 8 GB RAM. Should be that ordered separately or it is included by default?

- Do I need any additional license for routing/switching functionality, BGP full table, HSRP/VRRP, netflow..?

- Does ASR 9001-S support TCP MSS feature?

Thank you very much in advance for the help!

Kind regards

Salja

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Salja!

Congrats!

you will need to order XR separately, or it is a line item on your order. You select the XR release you like to have eg XR51 and you'll get the latest available in that release train pre-installed (eg 5.1.3).

the CPU memory is preinstalled, no need to do anything there.

The features you mentioned do not require additional licenses.

We support MSS adjustment for local packets (eg BGP) and we can also rewrite thta in the forwarding path for transit packets.

cheers

xander

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Salja!

Congrats!

you will need to order XR separately, or it is a line item on your order. You select the XR release you like to have eg XR51 and you'll get the latest available in that release train pre-installed (eg 5.1.3).

the CPU memory is preinstalled, no need to do anything there.

The features you mentioned do not require additional licenses.

We support MSS adjustment for local packets (eg BGP) and we can also rewrite thta in the forwarding path for transit packets.

cheers

xander

Hi Xander,

thank you very much for the explanation.

I was wondering if the IOS XR is included automatically when you are buying device.

I called Cisco directly and they said that IOS XR 4.3.1 is included by default.

For any newer version you have to most likely buy smartnet or buy the OS separately.

Cheers

Salja

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That doesn't sound right to me Salja to be honest, but then I never really order the stuff, I just build it :) The way our sales force generally goes about it is one of the line items is the ios-xr software, effectively the right to use license and then you can pick the release you want.

431 is very old already hence I am questioning the validity of that answer. If XR 43 was selected you would get 434 minimally.

Anyways, regardless as to what rls it comes with, you can always download and upgrade your device with the release of choice from CCO.

cheers!

xander