Views
Helpful
Replies

Commands/Functions similar to Junos

Deepak Ambotkar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a Juniper backbone and customer side is completely Cisco. I have never got a chance to work on XR platforms (I am good with IOS though). We are starting to introduce few XR devices.Finding small info in huge documentation will be a lot of time. I need to know the commands/features similar to Juniper in Cisco high end routers.

Things I would like to know as below compared to Juniper:-

1) show | compare

2) commit check

3) replace pattern

4) load set terminal

5) rollback

Please give as much as input possible.

Thanks & Regards,

Deepak Ambotkar

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

AARON WEINTRAUB
Level 1
Level 1

5) is rollback configuration last or rollback configuration to where is a specific number and x is how many ago you want to go back (i.e, rollback configuration last 1 just undoes the last commit operation)

4) load set terminal might be 'commit replace', I'm not familiar with that command

1) You can do 'root' followed by 'show' which shows you all the changes that will be made, but it does not show you in diff style format - i.e., what would 'go away'.  If you changed the metric on a link for example, it would not tell you what the old one was.

2) it does not look like this functionality is available.

View solution in original post

JunOS and IOS-XR feel quite similar overall.

1) show | compare

'show' in configuration mode will show you the current changes you are about to commit.

After a change has been committed, you can view, for all commits, the changes in a 'diff'-like mode (

show configuration changes diff).

2) commit check

Not really needed here, since syntax check occures when configuration is entered, and changes are applied when committed.

3) replace pattern

Not available as far as I know

4) load set terminal

If I remember well this is to load a config from text file right ?

You can do that using 'load [filename]' from configuration mode, then you can commit it.

5) rollback

Yes (see post from Aaron)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

AARON WEINTRAUB
Level 1
Level 1

5) is rollback configuration last or rollback configuration to where is a specific number and x is how many ago you want to go back (i.e, rollback configuration last 1 just undoes the last commit operation)

4) load set terminal might be 'commit replace', I'm not familiar with that command

1) You can do 'root' followed by 'show' which shows you all the changes that will be made, but it does not show you in diff style format - i.e., what would 'go away'.  If you changed the metric on a link for example, it would not tell you what the old one was.

2) it does not look like this functionality is available.

Thank you for the inputs Aaron.

Do you know some one who has worked on both platforms in SP environment, who can answer all 5 points?

Also I have found a nice link for all of these on Cisco-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios_xr_sw/iosxr_r3.3/getting_started/installation/guide/gs_33.html

-Deepak

JunOS and IOS-XR feel quite similar overall.

1) show | compare

'show' in configuration mode will show you the current changes you are about to commit.

After a change has been committed, you can view, for all commits, the changes in a 'diff'-like mode (

show configuration changes diff).

2) commit check

Not really needed here, since syntax check occures when configuration is entered, and changes are applied when committed.

3) replace pattern

Not available as far as I know

4) load set terminal

If I remember well this is to load a config from text file right ?

You can do that using 'load [filename]' from configuration mode, then you can commit it.

5) rollback

Yes (see post from Aaron)

Hi Maxime,

Thank you for the information.

Well for the porint #4-

This is not only loading a configuration from the file but also just copy & paste alot of lines at the same time like text.

Please let me know if this is similar.

-Deepak

Hi Deepak,

You can copy/paste relatively large configuration text directly in the IOS-XR config CLI, just like in IOS, exept here you need to commit it when you are done.  Alternatively you can load a text file instead of copy/pasting using the 'load' command, the effect is the same.  But there is no explicit 'load set terminal' to allow copy/pasting of config.

Max