cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to install a second RP with different SMUs (ASR9K)

Hi everyone,

I have a ASR9K with 1 RP and now I want to install a second RP. This new RP has the same IOS-XR installed (4.0.1) that RP already installed,  but it has a different number of SMU´s installed and when I install the new RP this have the "IOS XR PREP" state.

Can this behavior be due to the new RP has a diferent SMUs installed?

Regards,

Jaime Soto.

3 Replies 3

Alexei Kiritchenko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jaime,

When the active RSP sees a standby, it verifies that the standby has the same packages as the active. If that is not the case, the active RSP will automatically synchronize the packages (adding or removing PIEs and SMUs).  During this time the standby RSP will be in XR PREP state.

So the behavior you see is normal but the standby RSP should move into IOS XR RUN when the sync process is over.

Regards,

/A

RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:Synet(admin)#RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:Oct 24 06:26:16.832 : shelfmgr[396]: %PLATFORM-SHELFMGR-3-FAILED_LOAD : Node 0/RSP0/CPU0 fails to load IOS XR image, request to reset ...
RP/0/RSP1/CPU0:Oct 24 06:26:16.832 : shelfmgr[396]: %PLATFORM-SHELFMGR-3-FSMTIMEOUT_RESET : Node 0/RSP0/CPU0 is reset due to failed bootup. Node state was: 5 Timeout ID: 38

What is the meaning of this massage.

ashsan.ahmed
Beginner
Beginner

I waited around 2 hours but RSP was in XR PREP state.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: