cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is mLACP compatible with L3VPNs?

dabonilla
Community Member

Hi all,

I've recently started working with mLACP and I'd like to know if it's compatible with L3VPNs.

All cisco documentation that I've read neither shown any restriction nor examples about the integration of L3VPNs, only L2VPNs like VPLS.

I'm working with IOS XR version 4.3.4 on two ASR9001 and we want to configure L3VPNs as part of the LAG to provide POP redundancy.

Hoping that someone can assist me,

5 Replies 5

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can do that no problem. MCLAG can operate in L3 mode also, but there is some trickiness to that, as obviously you'll have 2 endpoints with a same ip address so it requires some sanity on the routing protocol end also to make sure we dont erronously advertise the address/endpoint when we're on the standby side.

As an alternative to MCLAG, may want to look at nv-edge/cluster. that gives you active active bundles with even nicer redundancy.

regards

xander

Apart from that you can also look into ICCP-SM, there you have at least some VLAN load-balancing instead of active/standby. You can also stay at L2 and configure BVIs for the bridge domains. The BVIs can have different IP addresses on the hosts (within the same subnet of course), so you should be fine with routing protocols too. Then you configure a VRF on the BVIs an there you go, been there, done that, works fine.

Regards,

Florian

Hello,

The MC-LAG in IOS-XR with L3VPN works fine for me, 

however in IOS-XE (ASR903 ) i had an issue as the connected subnet is Active in both PoA's

and it s advertised to L3VPN peers !

any advice ?

Br

Khalid

Khalid, you probably want to take this to the IOS XE or ASR900 forum. Generally this issue happens when ICCP isn't communicating between the two POA's or something is misconfigured on the POA(Bundle group doesn't match).. 

Regards

Eddie. 

Hello Khalid,

can you share your configurations with me?

I ´m trying to configure mLACP int L3VPN, but no luck.

Nest regards,

Volker