Views
Helpful
Replies

Obtaining an older software release: advice needed

nmehrotra
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have an unused ASR9006 chassis with Gen 2 RSP440 and MOD80 modules that we would like to use as a test bed for some experiments however it is currently running 5.3.0. We would like to upgrade it to 6.4.2, which is the final release supported on these modules however because 6.4.2 is EoS our var isn't able to sell us a SMART contract on it. They are recommending that we upgrade the hardware but we don't want to do that. We don't need hardware support on this system but are only looking to upgrade the software. Is anyone aware of any options that Cisco has for a situation such as this?

Thanks much,

Nitin

6 Replies 6

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
If you have a valid ccoID you should be able to download software, although I may not be aware of the intricies of smart contracts.

If that fails I can publish the software for you but will need your ccoID, email address. Just send me an email and I can do that tomorrow if a direct download doesn't work.

Sam

nmehrotra
Level 1
Level 1

So, three days of trying with various customer support folks have yielded precisely nothing.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to have an expired SMARTnet contract (which I approved and signed for originally btw) attached to my Cisco login? Will that give me the ability to download software for our equipment which was released while the contract was valid?

Thanks much,

Nitin

There are certain requirements for downloading software, namely that a cisco.com ID has the field for 'can download software' checked. The contract doesn't matter what software you have tied to the contract, we allow you to download any software is my understanding but you are supposed to only download what you are contracted to. So right now my hands are tied, I cannot give away software for free or I could get in trouble, in fact I don't have a means to publish software unless the user is authorized to download software, using another means like dropbox is a security violation that I cannot take. I am checking internally to see how you can get your account updated so that you can download software considering 6.4.2 is EoS.

Sam

nmehrotra
Level 1
Level 1

I appreciate your help and thank you for following up.

I'm not trying to get software for free; we had paid for a 3 year SMARTnet Premium contract, which, apart from the hardware coverage, should have given us access to software upgrades (I assume?). If yes, then do we still have access to that set of software? And again, if yes, how do I get that access? That's the help I'm looking for.

btw, I have chatted and emailed with a few support folks over the last coupe of days but am not any closer to getting answers.

cheers,

Nitin

No worries, I want to get the software to you somehow! I am talking to the product managers who can override these restrictions. Please give me some time to get a conclusion or next steps.

nmehrotra
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Do you have any updates on this?

Thanks,