Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading CISCO NCS 5501-SE

from88
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

We're getting Cisco NCS-5501-SE 7.0.0 from Cisco. Before we use it in production I will update it to 7.0.2.

Looking at update guide the main steps are here:

router(config)#fpd auto-upgrade enable
router(config)#commit

install add source harddisk:/ 702.tar
install prepare id xxx
install activate
install commit

Following this guide i would install all packages. But as we know IOS-XR is modular system and I dont need all packages running and updated (for example MPLS)

I need just OSPF, Security (SSH) and Management packages with ofcourse mini package which is mandatory.

So, in which step i will need to choose the actual packages ? Because command :  install add source harddisk:/ 702.tar

would prepare all packages for installation, yes ?

As I understand under command [install activate] i will be able to chose actual packages i want to upgrade ant activate ?

The strange thing is that this guide  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/iosxr/ncs5500/system-setup/70x/b-system-setup-cg-ncs5500-70x/b-system-setup-cg-ncs5500-70x_chapter_0110.html#task_B352A894D0A24F539D9F49FA8DEE2640  and provided with a software differs.

This guide shows installation by providing mandatory packages name, and install guide (provided with software) recommends installing whole .tar :

install add source /harddisk:/ncs5500-mini-x-7.0.2.iso ncs5500-ospf-2.0.0.0-r702.x86_64.rpm ncs5500-k9sec-3.1.0.0-r702.x86_64.rpm ncs5500-mgbl-3.0.0.0-r702.x86_64.rpm

show install request
show install repository
show install inactive

install activate ncs5500-mini-x-7.0.2.iso ncs5500-ospf-2.0.0.0-r702.x86_64.rpm ncs5500-k9sec-3.1.0.0-r702.x86_64.rpm ncs5500-mgbl-3.0.0.0-r702.x86_64.rpm

show install active
install commit
upgrade hw-module location all fpd all
show hw-module fpd

Which is the best way ? Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Its really upto the user, you can do 3 things:

1. install the entire tar

2. untar and install individual rpms

3. untar, tar up the individual rpms you want and install the custom tar

You do have to remember that when you upgrade you must upgrade every active package at the same time, so if the system is new and coming with every package you could remove the packages you don't want before the upgrade, or after the upgrade.

Sam

View solution in original post

Correct.
The entire system has to be running the same version of software, so you can remove the unneeded packages before or after the upgrade.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Its really upto the user, you can do 3 things:

1. install the entire tar

2. untar and install individual rpms

3. untar, tar up the individual rpms you want and install the custom tar

You do have to remember that when you upgrade you must upgrade every active package at the same time, so if the system is new and coming with every package you could remove the packages you don't want before the upgrade, or after the upgrade.

Sam

Thanks, so do I understand correctly - that i can't upgrade just 3 packages if the system currently is running with all the packages ? I need to remove from the system unusable ones before the upgrade. Or second options is: Upgrade all the packages and then remove unneeded ones, yes ?

Thanks again :)

Correct.
The entire system has to be running the same version of software, so you can remove the unneeded packages before or after the upgrade.