cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Waas 7341 hot swap raid stall

bradleyordner
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,  Reading the documentation I believe this is hot swappable although I just replaced disk03 and my appliance stalled,. I had to reboot and remove new drive.  Device has layer 3 up but no ssh or cms connectivity.  Has anyone else seen this I am running 4.1.5c code  Thanks  Brad

Posted from my mobile device.

6 Replies 6

Nicolas Fournier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brad,

7341 disks are indeed hot swappable.

How did you proceed with the disk change?

Can you make sure you went through the following procedure to replace your disk:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v441/configuration/guide/maint.html#wp1144150

Regards,

Nicolas

Hi Nicholas

Thanks for the reply. When I installed new disk when following the instructions the new disk had an amber light. I believe it means it is faulty? When the disk was installed all other disk lights went off and lost connection to the device.

I did follow the instructions but once device stalled I had no choice to reboot as I was doing this in business hours.

At this point the partitions have not mounted and everyone is in passthrough. Our support company has recommended installing the sent hard drive and rebuilding Raid from recovery CD.

Is this the best next step?

Thanks

Brad

Hi Brad,

If you have a spare WAE, maybe I would test the HD in it to see if it really is faulty or not (It could be a controller issue).

If you can't, I would indeed go for the re-install/rebuild from the recovery CD.

Regards,

Nicolas

Hi,

Don't have a spare 7341 :-(

I will rebuild, just thought I would post this as well to make sure the rebuild will fix it -

NWANAP02#         sh disk details

RAID Physical disk information:
  disk00: Online                     BJ502NJ8    286102 MB
  disk01: Online                     BJ502P6B    286102 MB
  disk02: Online                     BJ502NJG    286102 MB

RAID Logical drive information:
  Drive 1:      RAID-5  Critical   (Hard Disk controller's problem is reported)
                Enabled   (read-cache) Enabled (write-back)

Mounted file systems:
MOUNT POINT      TYPE       DEVICE                SIZE     INUSE      FREE USE%

Disk encryption feature is disabled.
NWANAP02#

Hi Brad,

I don't like so much the following line in your output:

Drive 1:      RAID-5  Critical   (Hard Disk controller's problem is reported)

This means that there is an issue with the device raid controller and that the whole 7341 might need to be replaced...

Regards,

Nicolas

The fun continues! :-)

I am going to proceed with removing this engine from the WAE Farm and attemping a rebuild. If it fails then Cisco have no choice but to replace entire device for me.

I will let you know how I go, thanks for you help.

Brad