cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber XMPP fails to send HTML tags

pescla
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello - are there any parameters / settings on the IM&P server that disallow HTML bodies in Jabber Messages? A customer has issues setting up a Jabber Bot via XMPP - the bot is supposed to send a button, but the client only recieves the text of the button, not the button itself. When i run the code on my test system it works, so logically it must be something related to their IM&P server. Any ideas?

My system:

IMP 14.0.1.10000-14

Jabber Client Version 12.9.2.54247 Build 304247 

Customers System:

IMP: 12.5.1.12900-115

Jabber Client: Version 12.9.5.55511 Build 305511

On the customers site it does not work at all, he tried javascript with xmpp/client and java. On my side it works both with Botkit and with xmpp/client.

Any clues on whats going on here?

14 Replies 14

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's almost definitely the jabber-config.xml settings.

<Options>
                        <AdminConfiguredBot>yourbot@example.com</AdminConfiguredBot>
	</Options>

Bots can't send HTML unless you have that AdminConfiguredBot in the Options section of your jabber-config.xml. 

Remember, the jabber-config.xml file is on the server, not on your client. You need to get it via TFTP, modify it, and then upload the modified version.  You do this in the CUCM OS Administration page, menu Software Upgrades -> TFTP File Management

The bot was already added as AdminConfiguredBot on both servers, sorry should have specified that.

Can you download and post your jabber-config.xml (the one on the server that's NOT working with HTML)?

You can sanitize it, but make sure it's intact other than that.

Hi, sorry for the late reply - the customer sent me back their config:

Hi, that's a screen shot of the web-based configuration utility.  What I need to see is the actual contents of the XML file. The customer can download it from the CUCM OS Administration page, menu Software Upgrades -> TFTP File Management. Then they can sanitize it by editing the confidential data. (They can also download it with a TFTP client, which is what I do.)

Also, I recommend that the customer upgrade to Jabber version 14.

I thought the jabber-config.xml no longer exists after CUCM Version 12? I will try to test if i can reproduce the issue on the client version of the customer

It still exists, but it's stored on the UCM server, not locally on the client PC.

I was mistaken about being able to download it via the CUCM OS Administration page, menu Software Upgrades -> TFTP File Management.  That's where you can upload a jabber-config.xml file.  In order to download it, you'll need a TFTP client. Here's a free one that I use:  https://tftpd64.software.informer.com/

Hi, i tried but none of the servers (12.5 and 14.0) i tested it with had a jabber-client.xml that i could download. Are you sure that its not a leftover file from pre-12? None of my colleagues could find anything of that file either...

The file is jabber-config.xml, not jabber-client.xml.

sorry, typo - yes of course we checked for jabber-config.xml, but couldnt find that, is it possible to view this file via ssh-> file get?

AFAIK AdminConfiguredBot should work via the admin UI Jabber Client Configuration, e.g.:

Screenshot-20211008154158-682x212.png

You customer's screen shot seems to be configured correctly.

Assuming they have confirmed that the config shown is actually being applied to the target Jabber and the Jabber client has been restarted, then not sure what might be going on. 

If there are steps normally needed to get a Jabber Client Config change to apply (e.g. restarting the device or TFTP service?), I would expect those need to be done.

Note the bot accounts/JIDs need to be valid/configured (i.e. 'regular') user accounts, with JIDs belonging to the same domain as regular users, etc.  If you can successfully login to a Jabber client with the bot JID/password, then you should be good.

If all fails, suggest opening a ticket with DevNet Developer Support so we can troubleshooting/look at logs, etc. in detail: https://developer.cisco.com/site/support/

You need to download it with a TFTP client. Check the above post for a link to a free client.

Here's how you can verify that the file exists:

Use your CUCM web GUI to log in to Cisco Unified OS Administration. Then choose the menus Software Upgrades->TFTP File Management. In the space where you can type "File Name" "Begins With", type jabber and then click on the Find button.

Here's basically what you should see:

2021-10-08_153315.png

This shows that the file exists on the server in the / directory.

One more thing, you can install the Windows default tftp client by going to Control Panel, Programs, Turn Windows features on and off.

Then open up a CMD window and type (example):

tftp <your UCM host> GET /jabber-config.xml <destination>

Hi, i checked three different CUCMs from customers that are using jabber (1x 14.0, 2x 12.5) - none of them had a jabber-config.xml via TFTP... thanks for the tip i will open a ticket under devnet support