Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to modify multiple switches across the DNA Center hierarchy

lecabral
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

In our environment I have many 9k switches onboarded to DNA Center. I'm in the need to perform a config change to all of them, but I'm unclear on how to proceed. I'm used to utilize the Provision feature with templates, but I'm not sure if that is the best approach for this case. To do it I think I could create a template and apply it to the higher level Site in the Hierarchy, assuming the sites under it will inherit the template, but then I don't know if there is a way to apply the template with Provisioning to all 9k switches or if I should go Site by Site doing provisioning (which does not look appealing).

DNA version is 2.3.3.7.

Thanks,

LeoC.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

estetson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What configuration are you trying to push? And you may need to create more than one Switching profile.  Example:

If you have a Site that contains 2 buildings and each building has a certain amount of floors. If you only want to apply a particular template to one of the two buildings, then create two switching profiles. One for building 1 and one for building 2.  Same idea if you only have particular floors you want the template applied to. Create a profile for those specific floors.

If you only want the template pushed to particular devices in the sites, then in the network profile associate the template with a tag. And tag the devices (from the inventory) with the same tag. That'll allow you to assign a template to a global profile, but it'll only push to tagged devices.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DNAC network hierarchy is very important when in the planning.

But to push the template to respected devices, its not required you have many templates and you  can choose the device you looking to push the configuration. 

But if you have planned in the initially stage in the deployment, main site, remote sits, branch site, then it would be each for you to select and push, or you can also do selected devices.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

To make may question shorter: How do I push a simple change to all my switches under a certain branch of the Hierarchy? (and all of the switches in the sub-branches)?

I checked the link but it doesn't reveal anything new. I'm familiar with creating a Template, associating it to a product family, and then gluing it to a site using a Profile. However if I try to do that for this case, in the upper portion of the hierarchy, it warns me that it will override/replace my other Profiles associated to some of the sub-branches, some for 0-day, etc, and I don't want to do that.

Thx,

LeoC.

estetson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What configuration are you trying to push? And you may need to create more than one Switching profile.  Example:

If you have a Site that contains 2 buildings and each building has a certain amount of floors. If you only want to apply a particular template to one of the two buildings, then create two switching profiles. One for building 1 and one for building 2.  Same idea if you only have particular floors you want the template applied to. Create a profile for those specific floors.

If you only want the template pushed to particular devices in the sites, then in the network profile associate the template with a tag. And tag the devices (from the inventory) with the same tag. That'll allow you to assign a template to a global profile, but it'll only push to tagged devices.

Thank you @estetson Your last paragraph applies well to my situation and I have already tested it successfully. Associating the template with a tag did help, I was able to push the config to all switches of the same family with the tag.

Thanks again.

LeoC.