Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco DNA install on VM

Shiraz Ali
Level 1
Level 1

HI All,

I want to install Cisco DNA Center VM on ESXI, Can any one share the Hardware specification for these.

CPU :

RAM :

HDD :

Also share the link for OVF/OVA download. We have not Physical appliance and Cloud service.

We have Network Advantage and Essentials licenses with ISE, Stealthwatch and DNA.

21 Replies 21

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @Shiraz Ali,

As far as I know (checked about a month ago) DNA Center is still not available on a VM.  It is only available on an appliance which is very limiting and highly detrimental to getting the technical community spun up on DNA Center and SDA.

Below are some additional posts that might be of interest to you

https://community.cisco.com/t5/cisco-digital-network/new-in-dna-center/td-p/3998919

https://community.cisco.com/t5/cisco-digital-network/lab-setup-for-cisco-dna-center/m-p/3830465

I’ve been told that it is possible to use the ISO and install in a VM. Apparently you need a box with the following:

128 vCPUs

256GB RAM

1TB Solid State Storage

I do not have hardware capable of these specs so I can’t set this up (yet). However I have no reason to doubt the person who told me this. If you have capable hardware and decide to try please reply to this thread and I’ll try my best to get your question answered. 

Hi,

Currently you need to have DNA-Center appliance to install DNA-Center as there is no VM/Cloud version yet officially available / supported. 

For lab & solution awareness purposes, you can take a look at DevNet Sand Boxes:

https://devnetsandbox.cisco.com/RM/Topology

some of them are shared / always-on, others - can be reserved for more detailed testing. 

Best regards,

Mariusz

Thank you for the DevNet links, those will be helpful. As for the VM, I understand that there is nothing officially supported by Cisco yet however it is actually possible if you have the specs outlined in my last post.

I am hoping that Cisco is working on an official DNAC VM solution. If not for a production environment at least for a lab environment. A scaled down, minimal throughput, version would be acceptable. Since it is now a CCIE lab requirement it would be helpful, if not vital, to be able to add it into the rest of a home CCIE lab network to be able to work each scenario and fully study for the exam.

Thank you,

Chuck

ChuckMcF
Level 1
Level 1

I recently found a video on YouTube that has prompted me to resurrect this topic. In this video Mr. Vinson shows his virtual DNAC running in ESXi on a rather powerful box. Still, it seems he has it in VM form now so there is hope.

Video: Unlocking Cisco SDA - DNAC and ISE Integration

By: Terry Vinson CCIEx2
Dated: Feb 20, 2021

TIA,

Chuck McFadden

Dan Rowe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please note that you will not be able to receive TAC support for a DNA Center VM as TAC currently only supports the On-Prem Cisco DNA Center appliance.

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Now it is possible to deploy DNA-C as VM, check this.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 8.59.18 AM.png

SamW1
Level 1
Level 1

So I've read the Blog Post that announced DNAC is available for VMWare but the download for the installation is nowhere to be found? Has anyone found it yet? Thanks.

Not yet available to download only in the AWS for now

So why did Cisco announce its existence in November?

Multiple Options for New and Existing Cisco DNA Center Customers 

The Cisco DNA Center Virtual Appliance is designed to be deployed in a public cloud service starting with AWS (and later Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform) or in a VMware ESXi (and later Hyper-V and KVM) virtual environments located on-premises or in a co-location facility (Figure 1).

PabMar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wharton,

From the same article you took that blurb, the next paragraph refers to Figure 2.

PabMar_1-1675892139875.png

As you can see the on-prem VM (ESXi) is currently in EFT (Early Field Trial). It is not yet GA (Generally Available).

Hope that helps.

Regards.

alex.f.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

is there a way to get an EFT image?

Regards

Alex

PabMar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Alex,

EFT for ESXi will start in the next few days. You need to get in contact with your Cisco SE to nominate your company to the EFT.

Regards.