cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Center email notifications stopped working suddenly

mat_rouch
Level 1
Level 1

I previously had email notifications working in DNA Center, but they stopped working very suddenly.  Currently we are running DNAC version 2.3.3.6-70045 (the latest.) 

Under "Settings\External Services" I have configured our mail server under the Email tab.  When I run a test under "Sender and Receivers" the test email is delivered correctly, so I know I have good end-to-end connectivity with the mail server.

To configure an email notification I followed the procedure outlined at   https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center-platform/2-3-3-0/user_guide/b_dnac_platform_ug_2_3_3/b_dnac_platform_ug_2_3_3_chapter_0111.html#Cisco_Task_in_List_GUI.dita_ca236611-5a22-4c83...

No errors were given when I ran the procedure, and as I said, they worked until March 7th.  When a switch went offline or an AP rebooted itself, for example, we would get appropriate notifications.  But on March 7th the emails stopped being sent.  I am reasonably sure that we upgraded to the current DNAC version on January 31st, so the change in behavior should not have been caused by a software update. The email notification FROM and TO addresses are the same as those used in the functional email server test.

When I go to Event Catalog, select an error that should send an email alert like "WAN-Uplink interface errors", and click the "Try-It Now" and click "Publish" button to simulate the error, it hangs for a while and then gives me the following output:

Notification: WAN-Uplink interface errors
Channel: EMAIL

I do not know if this "Try-It now" feature was working prior to March 7th, since I had no reason to test it prior to that date.

Any ideas what might be causing this, or where to find more troubleshooting help?  Most of the documentation available seems to be on earlier versions of email notification which were set up quite differently.

Thanks in advance,

-Mathew Rouch

6 Replies 6

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please open a TAC case.

Charlie Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,  Did you get this resolved?  I am dealing with the same issue but I am running 2.3.5.4-70852-HF3.   I don't know if notifications stopped working when I upgraded to this version.  I have a case open, but we have not made progress.  For me,  I get emails when i generate a report, but I do not get them if an AP loses connectivity to the WLC.  As a test, i created a notification to receive an email for any event, and I am getting nothing.

Yes, we did get it resolved. Our problem turned out to be bad communication on one of the switchports that went from DNAC to our main core switch. It was a fiber uplink that was intermittently going into low-alarm. We replaced a bad patch cable and the system has been up and stable ever since.

-Mat

I'm having the same issue.  Did you have any luck getting this resolved?

Yes, we did get it resolved. Our problem turned out to be bad communication on one of the switchports that went from DNAC to our main core switch. It was a fiber uplink that was intermittently going into low-alarm. We replaced a bad patch cable and the system has been up and stable ever since.

-Mat

My resolution was I worked with TAC and they restarted the dna-event-runtime servicednacaap-app-services servicednacaap-runtime service services and the email worked again.